Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scenario: Shot avoidance

I've read lots of scenarios on here. I was walking home the other day thinking about this:

What if you are unarmed and someone has a handgun drawn and aimed at you from say 10 - 15 yards. What would be the best probabilty of avoiding a shot? Staying put, hitting the ground, running, lateral dodging? Don't get me wrong - I realize that if faced with that situation it's pretty much up the man above, but what might offer the best probability of survival? Are there standard LEO/Military tactics?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Scenario: Shot avoidance

Well if the thug is holding the firearm "gangster" style... I'd just stay right where you are. He aint hitting nothing.

If he has sites on you... then you need to decide where you think that bullet will fit best in your body. Turning to one side could maybe offer some protection to your organs.

Id say protect your head and torso the best you can.

That's the thing. Anyone who has shot target with a pistol knows it requires some skill to place a shot. I can't imagine many of the street thug types hit the range or have much skill, knowledge, or otherwise understanding of a firearm- that's what got me thinking - would standing still be bettter than trying to run/dodge/etc...?

(Lebanon County)

If you're going to run isn't it reccommended to run zig zag patterns?

(Cumberland County)

how about acting as scared as possible and giving them what they want?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    how about acting as scared as possible and giving them what they want?
    Not if they want one of my kids....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Not if they want one of my kids....
    I guess I don't understand how the situation is going to play out. Bad guy point a gun at you from beyond arms reach and your going to dodge the bullets and get away?

I think if you are in the situation and unarmed you have to do your best to keep it from escalting. If you are trained in hand to hand perhaps you can try and get them to come closer.

I think this is a prime example of why not to be unarmed.

What would everyones thoughts be if you are armed but BG already has the draw on you?

(Venango County)

Distance is your friend.
    Vary speed and direction somewhat so they have to rethink their sight picture and lead/windage etc.

I would run.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

I'm not talking about de-escalating the situation. Assume he has already fired a shot and missed. What is your best option for physically not being hit?
    Last edited by PureRockFury; January 9th, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

(Berks County)

Depends on the environment. Wide open space, like a parking lot with no cars at all, running might not be the best bet, because they cansimply follow. Unless, of course, youre a particularly fast runner/they are out of shape. Might be better there to close the distance as fast and as low as you can and attempt the disarm.

If disarm isnt the way to go, look for cover. Even decent concealment can save your butt here. Dumpsters, trash cans, corners of buildings, cars, even bus stop benches. Put as much matter in between you and the BG as you can. Again, run low, with your head tucked down, and zigzag your steps. Just dont trip.

If you are armed, but behind the power curve (your guns holstered), youll need to try and distract the BG. If its a holdup, act like youre complying, reach for your wallet, and give it a lofty toss to the BG, and go for your gun quick and as smooth as possible. This is one of the reasons I carry my wallet on my weak side. Left hand goes for and tosses wallet, and as its arcing forward for the toss, my right is going back for the gun.

Kids can be useful tools in this sort of life or death situation. If old enough to understand these things, explain to them ahead of time what to do if a bad man pulls a gun or mommy/daddy; get behind them, get on their knees and throw a temper tantrum. Mommy/daddy can crouch and make a 1/4 turn to their strong side to quiet the child, simultaneously giving the child full cover behind the parent, and setting the parent up for a draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast