Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Changing 1911 Sights

I'd like to change the sights on a Springfield 1911 that I have, but have never changed sights before. Is it a simple process that I should be able to do, or is it something that I should bring to a gunsmith. If so, can anyone recommend any good gunsmiths in the Central Bucks county area?

Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Changing 1911 Sights

If the sights are a dovetail for the front and dovetail for the rears you can change them out by putting the slide in a padded vice and using a nylon or brass drift punch knocking the sights off and hammering the new ones in place.

If the FRONT sight is the old version that has a tail that goes into the frame you will need a special tool to stake the replacement front sight in place. A pin punch from the inside of the slide will take the front blade out.

If neither is to you liking try Blue Sky Firearms. I belive they are in Quakertown.

I've heard some good things about them and will be sending them some parts I need to be worked on.

hope this helps
    gotta love her ;)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    If the sights are a dovetail for the front and dovetail for the rears you can change them out by putting the slide in a padded vice and using a nylon or brass drift punch knocking the sights off and hammering the new ones in place.

If the FRONT sight is the old version that has a tail that goes into the frame you will need a special tool to stake the replacement front sight in place. A pin punch from the inside of the slide will take the front blade out.

If neither is to you liking try Blue Sky Firearms. I belive they are in Quakertown.

I've heard some good things about them and will be sending them some parts I need to be worked on.

hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. My front sight appears that it has the tail going into the slide. I'll be in Quakertown in a couple of weeks and my see if Blue Sky can replace them then.

(Chester County)

George at EGW is the man to see hands down. His work is highly regarded and his parts are second to none. He can dovetail the front if you like ,the one in the pic is not his work, it was done by John Harrison and you would not need to go to that extreme. The one you see was made from a blank. You could pick a rear of your choosing. I like the YOBO rear for a "retro" look and a 10-8 for a carry and training gun. I like blank rears a a lamp or gold bead up front best. Here are some pics to show you a couple options.

Yobo rear and gold bead dovetailed and blended to slide.

10-8 rear with lamp up front.