Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default What to paint a rail will? Any spray paint?

Hello all,

I need to paint this tiny rail in black to match my rifle. What type of paint can I use that’s resistant to Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner and gun oil? Rust-Oleum? Any need to bake it after painting it?

Image-1-3.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by magnumpa; March 3rd, 2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Want to add to my question

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What to paint a rail will? Any spray paint?

Auto store. VHT engine enamel. Curing requires it be baked in the oven to simulate the curing that would take place on a hot engine. Tough stuff and pretty solvent-proof. Hoppe's won't bother it in a normal splash situation. Can't vouch for an overnight soaking. Curing info is on the can.

Make sure you prep the parts before painting. You want all of the grease/oils off the parts prior. I've been refinishing firearms for at least 10 years and prep work is the #1 thing you can do.

That being said, not all finishes are the same durability.

If you want an aerosol, take a look at Aervoe. Aervoe is much more durable than say Krylon.

(Berks County)

Brownells has several solutions to your problem. Gunkote is one. Check them out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Make sure you prep the parts before painting. You want all of the grease/oils off the parts prior. I've been refinishing firearms for at least 10 years and prep work is the #1 thing you can do.

If you want an aerosol, take a look at Aervoe. Aervoe is much more durable than say Krylon.
    I’ve seen some the work posted in the past. Always looked very good. I’d be inclined to follow this advice, twer it me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post

I bought a used free float rail from a guy who had "painted" it.
    Aervoe is what he used and when I got it and looked it over, there are a few "rub spots" on edges (as he stated), but overall, the finish feels much more permanent than your typical spray paint.

Another thing I note is that it covered without being thick - I can still see fine detail in things like small, shallow marks like manufacturer name, etc - things that would have likely been at least partially filled in with spray paint.

I'm planning to do the whole rifle at some point and I'll be using Aervoe to do it.

This photo was taken to show my adjustable gas block, but you can see what I was talking about with being able to see the "Rainier Arms" wording clearly, even after being sprayed.
    You can see some worn edges as well. I have no idea how long or how hard he used this rail though.