Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: short-range 308

(Dauphin County)

Default short-range 308

I am trying to decide which bullet to use for deer. Where I hunt is next to alot of posted ground,I want a bullet that if placed properly of course will hopefully drop the deer on the spot. I have read were Core lokts have come apart in some cases. Do I need a premium bullet for a Pa. whietail?? Ihave a box of the new Hornady SST in 150 grain, but I am unsure of there performance at 100 yards or less. Thanks in advance for your opinions. I will be using a old Savage 99 in 308 Win.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: short-range 308

Most premium bullets are made to be slow expanding which is just what you don't want on deer sized game, a regular old 150gr core-lokt is about as good as it gets on .308 for quick kills.

An almost forgotten load that is VERY good for deer at 200yds or less is the Rem 180gr roundnose softpoint it opens quick and holds together. Sort of like a super .30-30.

You should talk to the landowners around you and explain your situation, I think most would allow you to recover your deer as long as you don't actually hunt on thier land.

(Armstrong County)

Mr. Williams, I have been hunting Pa whitetail with a .308 Rem. model 660 for 17 years and have been using Nosler 150gr Ballistic tips for about the last 9. Most shots have been 180 yds or less. I have taken deer with Sierra Gamekings, Rem. core-loks, and the Noslers. As far as the deer were concerned, I don't think they knew the difference. I can't honestly say that one bullet performed better once it struck said deer, some dropped in their tracks, some stumbled or ran and fell a short distance away. I found that in my particular rifle that the Noslers consistantly grouped better from the bench. That was really my deciding factor. My rifle seemed to prefer them. I handload the rounds using CCI primers, Rem. casings, and Hodgdon Varget powder with a charge of 44.7 grains.

(Clinton County)

Just as I said, no need for premiun bullets core lokt is a good as any. And for shooting deer at 200yds a load that shoots a 2 inch group is as good as one that shoots 1 inch.

Joe Hunter who is not a a serious shooter is better off just buying a box of core-lokts off the shelf, making sure his gun is still on and going hunting. Unless you like reloading or are a serius shooter no needto worry about technically superior bullets, the deer won't care, and at 200yds the results for hunting purposes will be the same.