Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Chickens in Philly?????

I have found myself on the recieving end of several egg laying chickens, I think that I would like to have them in the yard, I am on 1/3rd of an acre and the yard is 30% woods backing up to the train tracks, It is just 3 blocks in Philadelphia.
    Can anyone tell me the legalities of having chickens in Philly.
    NO ROOSTERS !! Just chicks!
    Thank you for any info that you may have!
    "The chicken man"
    Peter

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Chickens in Philly?????

Don't know the legalities but I grew up in Olney and remember,as a kid, always hearing a rooster crow in the morning. So, someone had some barnyard critters.

North Philly along 5th St. for blocks and blocks is full of the sounds of barnyard animals.

However:

Farm/Illegal Animal Violations (Including Chickens or Roosters)

It is illegal to possess farm animals in the City of Philadelphia. Farm animals include chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, or other farm animals. Horses are not considered farm animals under this ordinance. Other animals that are illegal to own include alligators, caiman and venomous reptiles and snakes. Exceptions to this ordinance include keeping animals to be slaughtered within 24 hours, animals brought in by a slaughterhouse or commercial retailer of live animals sold to be killed for use as food or animals at a circus or other licensed entertainment venue. You can report illegal animals online. An officer will investigate your report and a ticket will be issued if a violation is found at the time of the visit. If no violation is observed, a warning will be issued. Our officers do not have the authority to remove illegal animals except at the direction of the police department, at the direction of a judge, or at the direction of the Department of Health in the event of a health emergency.

From: http://www.phillypaws.org/animal_con...rvices.cfm.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    I have found myself on the recieving end of several egg laying chickens, I think that I would like to have them in the yard, I am on 1/3rd of an acre and the yard is 30% woods backing up to the train tracks, It is just 3 blocks in Philadelphia.
    Can anyone tell me the legalities of having chickens in Philly.
    NO ROOSTERS !! Just chicks!
    Thank you for any info that you may have!
    "The chicken man"
    Peter

It really depends on where in Philly they are located. By that I mean , the inspectors will not ever investigate anything in certain parts of the City, and in others they are extremely vigilant.

However as has been posted earlier. It is illegal to have them in the City .

Ed

BTW chickens can be carrying certain kinds of bacteria and viruses that are harmful to people. It would be prudent to get rid of them.