Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to Alaska for next year, need advice.

Well im going to alaska to live with a friend for next 6 months, he is deep in wild country with 180 acres of land 100 miles form the nearest city.

I have a 40 S&W that i planned on taking with me, but im not sure if i want to take that or buy a 357Sig, now this is bear country and though i know having to defend myself agaisnt a bear is a slim chance, its better to be prepared.

does anyone have any suggestions or comments on which sidearm i should carry?

i should also add ive already planned on picking up a Sig P229, im just not sure if it would be the best choice to take along on this adventure.

Thank you in Advance.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Going to Alaska for next year, need advice.

I would talk to your friend before buying anything, he would know what would be best. IMHO anything less than a 44 Mag would be a waste if you're worried about bear. Both Ruger and S&W make some nice guns geared to packing in Alaska. Check their websites. You might also go onto the official Alaska web site for additional info.

I think that you are about to do what many people would love to do but never get the chance. Good Luck and have fun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Grizzlies are BIG, and a .357 Mag or Sig isn't enough. A 2 1/2 inch or 4 inch .44 Mag is much better. Something you can carry much, with hands full. You'll likely be shooting it little, so comfort is paramount.

And the chances of a bear encounter may be higher than you think. I saw bears (black or grizzly) fairly often. Also wolves to worry about, and two legged critters.

Dress warm for winter, light for summer. You'll find something MUCH MUCH more important than your gun is going to be bug juice. The mosquito is Alaska's state bird, ya know!!
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

I would definitely think about a Glock model 20 in 10mm. It gives you magnum power in a super reliable semi auto form. Not to mention it also gives you 15+1, not to mention a Glock will take any conditions the harsh Alaskan frontier can throw at it. I would think about night sights to due to long lasting low light conditions that are long depending on what time of the year you go.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Grizzlies are BIG, and a .357 Mag or Sig isn't enough. A 2 1/2 inch or 4 inch .44 Mag is much better. Something you can carry much, with hands full. You'll likely be shooting it little, so comfort is paramount.

And the chances of a bear encounter may be higher than you think. I saw bears (black or grizzly) fairly often. Also wolves to worry about, and two legged critters.

Dress warm for winter, light for summer. You'll find something MUCH MUCH more important than your gun is going to be bug juice. The mosquito is Alaska's state bird, ya know!!
    Don't they get their own flight paths in Alaska??

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

When I stayed in alaska everyone had a sidearm when they went into the back country and nobody had anything smaller than .45

The guy we stayed with had a .45 ruger and I would consider that bear minimum (sorry for the bad pun)

I'd say .45, 10mm, or .44 would all be good choices.

Smith and wesson also makes a gizzly revolver with a short barell in .460 or .500 mag...but god forbid you'd ever have to shoot the thing, and a .44 would let you practice without having to get wrist x-rays after 5 rounds.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post

Smith and wesson also makes a gizzly revolver with a short barell in .460 or .500 mag...but god forbid you'd ever have to shoot the thing, and a .44 would let you practice without having to get wrist x-rays after 5 rounds.
    I have a .500S&W with the 8" barrel. I also have the .460 "Bear Kit" with the 2.5" barrel .460, bought it on a whim; of course I haven't seen a Bear since I bought it so I guess it works.

Both are huge guns. Granted the .460 is only a 2.5" barrel, the cylinder is still massive. I'm not sure it would ever be comfortable to carry.

Never lived in Alaska. Can't comment on the best caliber for the kind of bears they have there, never mind those mosquitoes.

Don't feed the Bears!

Go big as you can. 45-70 BFR or a .50 Smith would be my first choices for back-up. This would be in my hands at all times.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

WIth the .460 and 500 ammo would be hard to find. Not to mention expensive.

Everything up there is more expensive because it needs to be shipped so far so a common, readily available caliber is a must.

I say .45 or .44 Whichever kind of gun you can shoot, and carry the most comfortably.

By the way welcome to the forum and I'm jealous that you'll be up there and not me.

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    I say .45 or .44 Whichever kind of gun you can shoot, and carry the most comfortably.

By the way welcome to the forum and I'm jealous that you'll be up there and not me.
    Go with what's stated here. I just wanted to post the video.

Welcome to the forum & I'm jealous too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast