Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Disguising a gun safe?

Was thinking of modifying a piece of furniture, like a chest of drawers, to fit around a gun safe to disguise it from casual onlookers.

Thinking 3 sides and a top and wheels hidden on the bottom so that it could be pulled out easily to access the safe.

I don't have the skills to do this myself, so I'd have to have someone do it or have it built from scratch to my dimensions with fake drawers, pulls, etc..

Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone here have something like this?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Disguising a gun safe?

There's this guy, he's here in PA, I heard he does excellent work: http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=84

Other than that, the only wood butcher I know is Pennsy
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Who needs a safe?

Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Indiana County)

Find a place near you that makes furniture.

(Berks County)

I put a clown wig on top of mine along with an oversized pair of sunglasses. It's worked pretty well so far.
    I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.--HST

(Perry County)

My mother gave me a family heirloom break-down wardrobe. I've been thinking that a little bit of work with the circular saw, I could slide it right over the safe. Then, after I've been killed by my family, they can sell all of my guns and split the money.

I would imagine most cabinet makers or a decent carpenter could build a faux wardrobe around a safe. Another option would be to check Ikea stuff. It's not overly expensive and could be modified to work.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

An old refridgerator could work for some sizes too, cut the back out and slide it over.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

My buddy at work made his look like a mirror on the wall. Haven't seen it myself but is obviously a recess in his wall that his safe sits in with a mirror the works as a door that opens to reveal the safe. Would a criminal think to try to open a mirror? I don't know . Maybe they would break it for fun though and then see what's behind. But a semi smart criminal probably wouldn't want to make the noise of breaking glass while he's doing his thing
    Last edited by JW1914; June 19th, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Wyoming County)

Just swap the door from the safe with a refrigerator door and no one will ever know.

(Allegheny County)

I've seen the suggestion to cover it with a large cardboard box and write something like "Baby Clothes", or "Christmas Tree" on it with a Sharpie marker.

With cardboard you could configure it in many ways.
    Front. sides, and top, with the bottom and back cut off so it just slides over the safe.
    A "hinged" front panel that can open to access the safe door.
    Whatever works best for where it's located.

Obviously this idea is best for unfinished basement "storage" locations, or closets.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast