Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Business of Fear and Price Gouging - a rant

Just got back from the Split Rock Show and I noticed something that just pissed me off like no tomorrow and because of what I saw I have made a decision about who and where I buy guns (or anything else gun related) from.

[rant]

As I walked the floor of the show (BTW, I post in the show thread my thoughts on this mess of a show) I noticed a dealer with signs up on the back of his table, the famous 'nobama' picture and text about him taking guns away. OK, just another Obama hater I can deal with that. Then I looked down at a few of the weapons he had for sale. Every god damned one of them AT LEAST 30% over the normal prices with some 50% over, and I am not just talking 'assault' type weapons, handguns were also priced for idiots. I overheard him say to someone browsing, get them now because next year you wont be able to buy them. To be very honest I was about to go postal on this asshole but I moved on.

A few tables down more anti Obama literature that said something on the lines of 'he will take all your guns'. Again I was curious about his prices and looked at a Romanian AK ... how about $600! This time I just had to make a comment even though it was quiet and to my wife "Romanian AKs for $600, the guy is a thief"

Next row just about the same thing, ammo priced at 50% over normal prices, Romanian AKs at $600 ... by this time I had seen enough. We left before I ripped one of these fear mongering thieves a new one.

So here's the deal for all you dealers that have found a way to make your business quite a bit more profitable in these hard economic times by telling the sheeple they have to buy now and buy at your inflated prices. I spend money on weapons, when I see something I want or need I buy it and I pay in cash but from now on the second I see anything on your table at a show that is even remotely close to the 'BUY GUNS NOW BEFORE OBAMA TAKES THEM AWAY' I won't even look at what you have to offer. I will decide in that instant that you have decided to fleece whomever is stupid enough to pay your prices and found a way to double your profits by using fear and the common person's ignorance of what a weapon should cost. You have just lost any chance of ever seeing a penny of my cash because YOU are the ones starting all these rumors, YOU are the ones perpetuating the lies and fear and you are doing it for one simple reason, to make a buck.

Also don't get me wrong, a free market is a free market, you can ask anything you want for a gun .. that's your right BUT when you perpetuate crazy profits for yourself off of rumors you yourself are starting and or passing along, with no knowledge or fact finding involved you are no better than a snake oil salesman. You are a disgrace to the business and I will be more than happy to take my money to an honest gun dealer or just keep it in my pocket!

[/rant]
    Last edited by dc dalton; November 15th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: The Business of Fear and Price Gouging - a rant

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    YOU are the ones starting all these rumors, YOU are the ones perpetuating the lies and fear and you are doing it for one simple reason, to make a buck.
    While i agree price gouging is bad but they have the right to ask whatever they want to. Like you said in a free market, you are free to walk away.

However, i disagree that they are the ones perpetuating a lie. Have no doubts O wants your guns. How soon that happens and how soon it gets passed is the only question. Make no mistakes he is coming after guns.

I was going to go to my local gun show in dec. However, i think i'll just stay home. With the greedy dealers it isn't worth the $8 to get in and and the gas to go. I'll just stick with my local shops. I can't even remember the last time i got a deal at a show. Now, it will be worse.

gunbroker.com has beta mags starting at 265.00 all the way up past 300.00 my dealer is still selling them to me for 245.00 (clear back) im thinking of getting a few more.
    FJB

dc, if we have commodity x, with demand y, and we increase the demand factor y times a given amount, price z is sure to rise. While I agree that many dealers are fanning the flames, we disagree as to whether or not there are evil intentions on the part of the President-elect.

I've picked up 1,200 rounds of 9MM, 1,500 rounds of .223/5.56 and an additional multi-caliber capable semiautomatic pistol in the past month. I have 1,200 rounds of 8MM Mauser, 480 rounds of 7.5x55, and 3,000 rounds of 7.62x39 inbound to avoid price increases that are occurring on a daily, if not weekly or monthly basis, to say nothing of the possibility of staggering taxes that might be placed on such purchases in the future, or even an outright ban. None of the prices that I have paid are what I paid in the past; 16¢ a round for 9MM, 30¢ a round for .223, and 36¢ a round for milspec 5.56 are possibly, if not probably, less than what you might pay in five or six months' time, if they're available at all.

You would say that I'm buying into the panic and fueling it, but I'm not willing to gamble on the benevolence or the preoccupation of a future administration with other matters. Don't think of this as a condemnation of a mode of political expression, so much as an assessment of the character and the aims of one man therein, very much on the screaming, bleeding edge of his party, and prudent reaction before his ascension to a position from which he could do me harm.

There is no such thing as "price gouging." There is no such thing as "windfall profit." There is, on the other hand, a free market that factors in the (in my case, reality) fear of the political future, the desirability of the item, the supply available to the market...in other words, for any price to be sustained, someone has to pay it. Remember that there are as many buyers as sellers when the stock market tanks (or, at least, every share sold, is bought). Likewise, if the current rise in prices is to be sustained, there has to be a continued increase in demand, with which the supply cannot be matched.

Sorry, but there's no such thing as a "fair price." The only "fair" price is the one agreed upon by the buyer and seller.

Respectfully,

Walt
    PS I'm eagerly awaiting for the Senate to call in oil company execs to congratulate the oil companies for the welcome current drop in gas prices, and to offer to cover the companies' "windfall losses."

Sure.
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    There is no such thing as "price gouging." There is no such thing as "windfall profit." There is, on the other hand, a free market that factors in the (in my case, reality) fear of the political future, the desirability of the item, the supply available to the market...in other words, for any price to be sustained, someone has to pay it. Remember that there are as many buyers as sellers when the stock market tanks (or, at least, every share sold, is bought). Likewise, if the current rise in prices is to be sustained, there has to be a continued increase in demand, with which the supply cannot be matched.

Sorry, but there's no such thing as a "fair price." The only "fair" price is the one agreed upon by the buyer and seller.

Respectfully,

Walt
    PS I'm eagerly awaiting for the Senate to call in oil company execs to congratulate the oil companies for the welcome current drop in gas prices, and to offer to cover the companies' "windfall losses."

Sure.
    What it boils down to, beyond that, is utility. Do you expect to need something, and is the ROI worthwhile given the price? It breaks down into tangibles and intangibles, like the actual market value of the item, its ability to outperform a similar item, and its ability to serve an an implement in self-defense or defense of others.

(Berks County)

I feel for the OP and the many more like him looking to buy. But in all fairness........

I remember quite a few threads on this site and others where people were wondering what would happen if Obama won. Myself and many others said buy what you want now before the election. The writing was on the wall what was going to happen. I jumped through hoops and put my last project on a credit card to get it in my house before the election knowing the prices were going to go crazy. If I had to do it over again this week it would cost me many hundreds more and I would have to work to find many of the parts.

The people that did not listen to the many warnings found online and that didn't buy when the buying was good have only to look in the mirror to see who cost them money. I can't blame the dealers. They are in business to make a living, not make us happy. By this time next year many of them may no longer be in business thanks to Obama. I say let them make the money while they can. If they raise the prices too high people will stop buying and they will have to lower them. The market sets the prices. Right now prices are following demand.

I guess the easiest way to put this one as gently as possible is "you snooze you lose".

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post

So here's the deal for all you dealers that have found a way to make your business quite a bit more profitable in these hard economic times by telling the sheeple they have to buy now and buy at your inflated prices. I spend money on weapons, when I see something I want or need I buy it and I pay in cash but from now on the second I see anything on your table at a show that is even remotely close to the 'BUY GUNS NOW BEFORE OBAMA TAKES THEM AWAY' I won't even look at what you have to offer. I will decide in that instant that you have decided to fleece whomever is stupid enough to pay your prices and found a way to double your profits by using fear and the common person's ignorance of what a weapon should cost. You have just lost any chance of ever seeing a penny of my cash because YOU are the ones starting all these rumors, YOU are the ones perpetuating the lies and fear and you are doing it for one simple reason, to make a buck.
    [/rant]

a new phenomenon: the panic market

(Somerset County)

what,s really funny , my neighbor supported obama and went to buy a rifle yesterday and is bitching about the price , like he didn,t really think it would happen. and yes , he was advised to buy before the election . oh well , the price of electing a gun grabber
    Last edited by 1861; November 15th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    I guess the easiest way to put this one as gently as possible is "you snooze you lose".
    Oh trust me I didn't snooze, not one bit. I bought and bought heavy since last January and when people asked why I was buying so heavy I told them (and you can ask people that know me) "If the Dems get in and the bans start the prices are going to get stupid".

And my rant was NOT meant to start another political bullshit storm... they are getting old to say the least. My rant is pointed at slimy dealers that intentionally push the fear, the rumors for one simple fact .. to be able to charge more for the items they have in stock.

Also if you notice I said "I will not buy from you" .. that is my capitalist choice, to show my disapproval of their business practices by not giving them my money, I will deal with honest dealers that know the best way to keep a business humming with happy customers is to be fair and honest with them.... case in point is Warner's. Rich, Deb and Steve will always give you the 'real story', not some rumored BS just to get you to buy something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast