Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I woke you up because I know you have a gun...

Well last night was a long night. I was awakened at 3am by my roommate turning on my light and stomping up the stairs telling me he really needs to talk to me.

*Disclaimer: I'm recounting the story as it was told to me by my roommate, I wasn't there so I can't attest to its authenticity.

Some background:
    I live in an apartment with two roommates and we live next to two other guys who are about 6 years older than us. They're cool guys and we've always gotten along well. We've shared a few beers on occasion but it's obvious that alcohol is the weakest drug they put into their system. It's not uncommon for them to be up all night doing God knows what. I often hear them screaming and carrying on if I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I wouldn't call them friends, but we're civil and we always say hi if we see each other.

The story:
    Last night around 1:30am my roommate was coming home with his girlfriend and noticed our neighbors had people over. He stopped at their apartment to say hi. One of our neighbors mentioned to my roommate that their friend who was visiting (we'll call him 'X') played the guitar (my roommate plays the guitar as well). My roommate asked X what kind of guitar he played and the next thing he knew, X had his hands around his throat and he proceeded to throw my roommate into the wall.

Around 6 people rushed over to pull X off of my roommate. My roommate later told me that it was the most random thing he ever witnessed in his life. He said it all happened so quickly and so unexpectedly he didn't know how to react.

After people pulled X off my roommate, he said he was calling the cops. Immediately after he said it X and 3 other people quickly ran out of the apartment. My roommate didn't call the cops.

A little while later X comes back. Scared for his life, my roommate decided it was best to call the cops. X left before the cops arrived. My roommate and some of my neighbors talked to the cops for a half hour at least. The cops told my roommate that since there were no visible signs that X had tried to choke him they couldn't do anything (despite other witnesses that were there that repeated the same story to the cops as my roommate).

One of our neighbors had previously lived with X for 2 years but was unable to give the cops his full name, claiming he only knew his first name. No one at the party knew X's full name.

According to my roommate X is a skinhead. Shaved head, over 6 feet tall, tattoos everywhere, a scraggly beard, upper 200s. My roommate is 5' 8" 150 pounds (not exactly intimidating).

After the cops told my roommate they couldn't do anything he was a little scared. He asked the cops "what if X comes back?" The cops told him to call 911. My roommate then said "it took you guys over 10 minutes to come last time, by the time you get here I could already be dead." The cops told him they couldn't stay outside the door all night. They told him to put 911 in his speed dial (because that will save so much time ).

After the cops left my roommate turned on my lights and stomped up the stairs telling me he needed to talk to me and recounted the whole story. He then said, "I woke you up because I know you have a gun and I'm really scared." We went around the apartment together making sure every door and window was locked and secure. We left a light on in the kitchen as an extra precaution and woke up my other roommate and told him the story. I kept my door open and told both roommates to yell my name if they heard anything in the middle of the night. We worked out our "emergency plan" (who would call 911, what people should do if something happens, etc.) and then went to bed.

For my roommates it was a big wakeup call learning that the police are not there to protect them. I wasn't too worried. I knew this guys was probably hopped up on drugs but I knew if he tried to break in we were ready and prepared. I think my roommate learned that when seconds count the police are only minutes away. Let it be a lesson to everyone that you should always have a plan for when SHTF.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I woke you up because I know you have a gun...

Sounds like the police couldn't be bothered. Assault is assault, I believe he can still file an assault complaint regardless if there was visible evidence (you have witnesses). The police should be required to follow up with an investigation. I'd at least make them do the paper work, even if they never do anything about it.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Sounds like the police couldn't be bothered. Assault is assault, I believe he can still file an assault complaint regardless if there was visible evidence (you have witnesses). The police should be required to follow up with an investigation. I'd at least make them do the paper work, even if they never do anything about it.
    I told him the same thing. Just because there are no physical marks doesn't make what the guy did legal. There are witnesses to back up his story too. One of X's "friends" told the cops the same story that my roommate told. He was really shaken up about the thing last night and kept telling me he was going to call someone today about it. I think my roommate might shit himself if he ever sees this guy again, he is that terrified of him.

(Cumberland County)

Sounds like you had it well planned, but if you are not home?

One suggestion would be if you do go out and happen to leave any of your firearms behind, be SURE they are locked up. If your roommate is as scared as you seem to think, there is no telling what he may do if something does happen when you are not around and he uses one of your firearms. I do not know if legally you can be held responsible, but do you want to pay a lawyer to get your butt out of jail because your roommate was frightened and shoot some one with your gun?

just a thought.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    One suggestion would be if you do go out and happen to leave any of your firearms behind, be SURE they are locked up.
    Probably good advice for ANYONE with a roommate regardless of circumstances.

(Bucks County)

ask him if he wants to go to the range with you some time, and then show him a few different guns and tell him how to get his ltcf and to take a safety course.

<-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

If he shows up again call the police and tell them to come collect the trash.

Or you could place these in your window and just wait.
    1293131704262-dumpfm-kalan-Blackpower-1.jpgBLACK%20POWER.jpgblack-power-pin.jpg
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

good lookin out for your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    Sounds like you had it well planned, but if you are not home?

One suggestion would be if you do go out and happen to leave any of your firearms behind, be SURE they are locked up. If your roommate is as scared as you seem to think, there is no telling what he may do if something does happen when you are not around and he uses one of your firearms. I do not know if legally you can be held responsible, but do you want to pay a lawyer to get your butt out of jail because your roommate was frightened and shoot some one with your gun?

just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Probably good advice for ANYONE with a roommate regardless of circumstances.
    The gun is either on me or in a safe at all times, no worries. He's eligible to get a LTCF and I plan on asking him to go shooting with me in a few weeks after everything has calmed down. Maybe this is just the motivation he needs to get interested in firearms himself.

I'm glad your firend came out of this relatively in tact. I'm sure he's shaken up but at least he's not injured or dead. We have here a classic case of why we are bound to learn how to defend ourselves. Police just won't be there when you need them. A gun wouldn't have done him much good during such an attack, once hands are on you your severely limited in movement. But there are a lot of different techniques for defense and more people need to learn them. Hand choking is one of the easiest holds to get out of, the attacker has opened his entire body to counterattack. Any number of techniques can be learned in one night. Of course practice and perfect skills takes a bit more time.

By all means, take your friend to a range and nurture the idea of armed defense but no one should rely on that as be all end all solution to a violent event. You have an excellent opportunity, both of you, to understand your weak point. Look into a martial art. It doesn't have to be very expensive, I know of one near me that is $100 a month with 3 one hour classes a week. Some are expensive, some aren't. Some focus on the sport aspect, some on the defensive aspect. For your purposes look for the defensive. Usually they are a mix of various forms blended for the specific knowledge of defending one's self. The expensive ones are going to have a lot of fancy equipment and useless decorations. The inexpensive ones will be more barren. You don't need a bunch of junk, you need that little old man who seems very mild and calm. Just for fun, stop by these facilities when you see them. Some are like gyms, trying to sell you a membership. Others are run by a guy who wants to teach. Look for the teacher.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast