Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default When did guns become "bad"?

I know there is alot of debate about OC and CC and is one hurting the other. But when did guns become bad? Not that long ago everyone owned a gun. There were even rifle clubs in schools. Kids brought their guns to school. Why are guns evil now? Do most people not consider them necessary so now they're bad? What happened that now we have to fight for what not to long ago everyone did? (carry a gun)

What does anyone think?

Default Re: When did guns become "bad"?

Think back to the Hippie culture of the '50's and '60's............

About the time that prohibition ended and all those gmen were gonna be out of jobs, so they made certain types of fire arms either illegal or very difficult to own, so that the feebies would have something to do. that was NFA of 1934

Then Bobby Kennedy got shot and we got the GCA of 1968.

I used to bring my wingmaster 870 to school so I could go hunting with my buddies. We rode different buses. Carried right on the bus and put it in my locker. that was in the mid '70's.
    Last edited by pacodelahoya; September 24th, 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: i'm a little tired.

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    About the time that prohibition ended and all those gmen were gonna be out of jobs, so they made certain types of fire arms either illegal or very difficult to own, so that the feebies would have something to do. that was NFA of 1934

Then Bobby Kennedy got shot and we got the GCA of 1968.

I used to bring my wingmaster 870 to school so I could go hunting with my buddies. We rode different buses. Carried right on the bus and put it in my locker. that was in the mid '70's.
    I did that in the very early '80's.
    Way out in the sticks, though.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    From '81 through '86 I use to take guns, long arms, to school to work on in shop class or use the shop on my open periods. Like you said, kept it in my locker until I needed it. Sometimes take it on the bus, usually missed the bus and had to be driven. Parents never batted an eye, and my Father was in LE for 40 years. All this as a minor, I graduated at 17 yoa This was Northwestern Lehigh in New Tripoli. Man I get down that way now, what a shame, you folks in the Lehigh Valley sure let it go to s**t I liked it when it was "Corn Cob High" Now I live where my kids go to "Hicksville High". That's fine, I'll take it

Be safe (and yearn for the good old days).

Scott

I'm a younger guy so I don't really have much personal experience with the questions...I got into guns long after the "glory days" of cheap guns and even cheaper ammo. But from what I can imagine, the cocaine boom of the 80s was the catalyst for the view that guns were bad. Prior to the 80s, organized crime had a loose unwritten rule that civilians wouldn't be harmed and that crime would be kept out of the public eye for the most part. But the decline of the Mafia and the growth of the S. American cartels in the United States changed all that. These factions fought openly in the streets, massacring people in broad daylight with full auto Uzis, etc. The growth of cocaine and subsequently crack cocaine created a huge decline in the safety of large cities and because of the huge rise in crime and the exposure it got, the government decided to step in.

(Allegheny County)

Guns have been "going bad" for a long time... little, by little.

Every time the news media paints a firearm, or use of firearm in a bad light, guns go a little more "bad", and every time a firearm owner pretends he's not a firearm owner for fear of someone thinking he/she is "bad", they go a little more "bad".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    I'm a younger guy so I don't really have much personal experience with the questions...I got into guns long after the "glory days" of cheap guns and even cheaper ammo. But from what I can imagine, the cocaine boom of the 80s was the catalyst for the view that guns were bad. Prior to the 80s, organized crime had a loose unwritten rule that civilians wouldn't be harmed and that crime would be kept out of the public eye for the most part. But the decline of the Mafia and the growth of the S. American cartels in the United States changed all that. These factions fought openly in the streets, massacring people in broad daylight with full auto Uzis, etc. The growth of cocaine and subsequently crack cocaine created a huge decline in the safety of large cities and because of the huge rise in crime and the exposure it got, the government decided to step in.
    Reread your history.

Why speculate when you can research the facts?

For example, see Chicago of the Prohibition Era.

Stay well.

---elston
    Last edited by elston32; September 24th, 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarity

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    From '81 through '86 I use to take guns, long arms, to school to work on in shop class or use the shop on my open periods. Like you said, kept it in my locker until I needed it. Sometimes take it on the bus, usually missed the bus and had to be driven. Parents never batted an eye, and my Father was in LE for 40 years. All this as a minor, I graduated at 17 yoa This was Northwestern Lehigh in New Tripoli. Man I get down that way now, what a shame, you folks in the Lehigh Valley sure let it go to s**t I liked it when it was "Corn Cob High" Now I live where my kids go to "Hicksville High". That's fine, I'll take it

Be safe (and yearn for the good old days).

Scott
    Ha I graduated there, and it seems more kids were of the MTV gen city-slicker type than farmers. I guess we were all desperately trying to lose that hick stigma... oh well, it was a good school.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    Please don’t be fooled by thinking the Mob didn’t have an affect on the public that had to live with them. Also do not think that there was anything glamorous about real mobsters. Most were regular scumbags or Psychos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast