Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Replacing Siding on my House

So the wife and I are thinking about replacing the siding on our house with vinyl. Right now, the aluminum siding is over 28 years old and in many spots the nails have either pulled out of the sheeting, or broken the tabs on the siding. One the east side a couple courses came off in a wind storm. I put them back up, but that entire side of the house has pulled loose from the sheeting.

But my question to ya all...so we can start planning and saving money, what is the approximate cost of vinyl siding? We haven't even begun to price it. We don't want cheap stuff, just middle of the road. So anyone do it recently and know how much a square siding is? Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Replacing Siding on my House

depending on the size of the house your looking at a starting price range of 5-7,000 bucks or so smaller house might be less...

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    depending on the size of the house your looking at a starting price range of 5-7,000 bucks or so smaller house might be less...
    For just the siding?

We have an 1800 sq ft interior floor house. I estimated 3500-4000 sq ft of siding need to do everything. So that is 35-40 sq.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    So the wife and I are thinking about replacing the siding on our house with vinyl. Right now, the aluminum siding is over 28 years old and in many spots the nails have either pulled out of the sheeting, or broken the tabs on the siding. One the east side a couple courses came off in a wind storm. I put them back up, but that entire side of the house has pulled loose from the sheeting.

But my question to ya all...so we can start planning and saving money, what is the approximate cost of vinyl siding? We haven't even begun to price it. We don't want cheap stuff, just middle of the road. So anyone do it recently and know how much a square siding is? Thanks.
    You should address the problem of why the metal siding is pulling loose first. I have used some of the most expensive siding and some of the cheaper, there is really not much difference. It allways ends up more money in trim and fascia, and generally windows. If you are handy it's not a hard job. If you buy coil stock and rent or borrow a breaker it saves a lot of money. Good luck

(Dauphin County)

i'm sorry , i should have added that price would include installation ..

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky111 View Post
    You should address the problem of why the metal siding is pulling loose first. I have used some of the most expensive siding and some of the cheaper, there is really not much difference. It allways ends up more money in trim and fascia, and generally windows. If you are handy it's not a hard job. If you buy coil stock and rent or borrow a breaker it saves a lot of money. Good luck
    So why do you think the nails are pulling out? I assumed it was because they were not nailed into studs. Just into the sheeting.

And installation is taken care of...No worry about that.

(Lehigh County)

It WAS about $250 per 100 s.f. installed. The aluminum is worth a couple of bucks at the scrap metal dealer. Negotiate price or haul yourself or tip the workers with the money from recycling. Don't get conned into paper "insulation" backing. Vinyl coil stock is now available for wrapping windows and fascia. Be certain the installers use aluminum or stainless nails not galvanized roofing nails that will streak with rust. Hand nail the siding unless they can explain that the nails are not hammered tight with a gun. That will cause vinyl to buckle when heated by the sun.
    The new sticky window/door tape flashing is a good extra to include. Inside corner trim vs. butt joint and the flashing behind. Include vented soffit pieces not all solid so your attic can breathe better. New rain gutters now have 100% hidden hangers, installed properly they look good and last, add the gutter-helmet (capillary action) type leaf guards right away if this is a problem with trees close to the house. Forget the screens that slip over the top of the gutters. Vertical siding looks nice as accent on gable ends, under front porch, etc.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    So why do you think the nails are pulling out? I assumed it was because they were not nailed into studs. Just into the sheeting.

And installation is taken care of...No worry about that.
    What is the type sheeting and what condition is it in? If, as you call them "the tabs" are breaking off they were nailed to tight, if nails are pulling out your sheeting may be one of the pressed inpregnated sheeting types. (like black paper) It could be water has penetrated behind siding, wrong nails or nailed poorly. Pull some off and it will tell you what the problem is. You should be able to get a decent price and great job for your property in the area you live in. The amish. none better.

(Lawrence County)

Did my sisters house last year with middle of the road siding, it's called Quest and I think alcoa makes it, good stuff. Her house is about 28'x35', one floor and we had about $2200 into materials. That's everything wrap, nails, siding, corner posts, starter strips, J-channel, vents, and a roll of aluminum to re-do all the windows. If I remember right it was about $200 a box for the siding and we used 7 boxes.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky111 View Post
    What is the type sheeting and what condition is it in? If, as you call them "the tabs" are breaking off they were nailed to tight, if nails are pulling out your sheeting may be one of the pressed inpregnated sheeting types. (like black paper) It could be water has penetrated behind siding, wrong nails or nailed poorly. Pull some off and it will tell you what the problem is. You should be able to get a decent price and great job for your property in the area you live in. The amish. none better.
    The sheeting is .5 ( I think) plywood. The sheeting is in good condition and is not the problem, I don't think. The "tabs" are breaking where they were nailed. And yes, I realize they were probably nailed too tight. Not much I can do about it now. I don't think water has gotten behind it too much, from what I can tell. It seems to be pretty water tight.

And again, installation is not the problem. I have that taken care of. It was just the cost of materials I was interested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast