Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Permission Hunting Season

Summer is here and in my 365 day a year hunting season, the current open season is "Private Landowner Permission"...We are EXTREMELY fortunate to have the MOST public hunting land available of any state EAST of the Mississippi and it is always good to scout public and find sign while enjoying PA's wildplaces. BUT I also like having a few Privately owned honeyholes, so it is during this time of year that I am looking for private land to get permission to hunt.

Step #1. Identify land that looks like it would be good hunting.
    Step #2. Find out who owns this land.
    Step #3. Figure out the best way to ask permission. I usually start with a letter or an email. Depending on the landowner. I.E. Independent Farmer - Letter via U.S. Post. Some sort of Business I.E. Coal Company - email.
    Step #4. Send it off and wait for a reply. If no reply within a reasonable amount of time, follow up with a visit.

Good luck Hunters. Always be respectful to ALL private landowners. Finding that one perfect property and getting permission is a lot of fun and very rewarding when Oct. comes around.

Also remember to Join-- United Bowhunters of PA. It is an excellent hunting organization. https://ubofpa.org/new-memberships

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Permission Hunting Season

Try knocking on the property owners door and offer free labor. Worked for me, 350 acres, keys to all the gates, do as I please and the man and family became my fiends.

So you can hunt white tails now on your own private land?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Try knocking on the property owners door and offer free labor. Worked for me, 350 acres, keys to all the gates, do as I please and the man and family became my fiends.
    Yup that works also. Offer to trap fox and coyote or shoot groundhogs. I got permission one year because I kept buying one landowners fresh eggs and enjoyed talking revolvers with him.

(Wayne County)

Another way, if you have a local historical society it’s mostly older folk who’ve lived in the area all their life. Make friends!

(Clarion County)

FWIW. Been thinking about this thread and am coming from the landowners view.
    When I first moved here it was wide open in the entire township.
    Today every stitch of land is posted. Main cause have been assholes.
    Some things I've seen and don't advise you doing:
    Banging on the door at 0500 opening day asking for permission.
    Shooting game in my front yard.
    Telling me it's going to be you and a friend and turns out to be a small army.
    Bring an atv and riding over newly planted tree plot.
    Leave gut piles on trails, near buildings, ect.
    I confront someone who is friends with a woman who cuts the hair of your first wife's cousin who said, you said, it'd be ok to hunt here.
    Complain about the noise I make when your hunting.
    Learning you didn't have the sense to even sight your rifle in.
    Those are some that comes to mind.
    So you will be profiled and I will ask questions to get a handle on safety issues and how serious of a sportsman you are.
    Never refused anyone who asks in person and seems normal. Have said not this weekend for reasons like it's promised to someone and their kids or some of the family is coming in.
    In thing lately has been some kinda club that offers $/acre for access. Not much interest locally yet.
    Best impression comes after the hunt. The thanks and look on a kids face is priceless.
    Sorry for the long ramble.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Don't forget to offer the land owner a portion of the harvest. They will likely reject the offer, but it's always nice for the landowner to know you respect them enough to offer.
    And AFAIC leave the ATV's/UTV's home except for removing large game and real disabilities.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    FWIW. Been thinking about this thread and am coming from the landowners view.
    When I first moved here it was wide open in the entire township.
    Today every stitch of land is posted. Main cause have been assholes.
    Some things I've seen and don't advise you doing:
    Banging on the door at 0500 opening day asking for permission.
    Shooting game in my front yard.
    Telling me it's going to be you and a friend and turns out to be a small army.
    Bring an atv and riding over newly planted tree plot.
    Leave gut piles on trails, near buildings, ect.
    I confront someone who is friends with a woman who cuts the hair of your first wife's cousin who said, you said, it'd be ok to hunt here.
    Complain about the noise I make when your hunting.
    Learning you didn't have the sense to even sight your rifle in.
    Those are some that comes to mind.
    So you will be profiled and I will ask questions to get a handle on safety issues and how serious of a sportsman you are.
    Never refused anyone who asks in person and seems normal. Have said not this weekend for reasons like it's promised to someone and their kids or some of the family is coming in.
    In thing lately has been some kinda club that offers $/acre for access. Not much interest locally yet.
    Best impression comes after the hunt. The thanks and look on a kids face is priceless.
    Sorry for the long ramble.
    Have had more landowners than I can count tell me that they used to allow hunting until someone did something disrespectful and inconsiderate that caused them to stop allowing hunting on their land.

(Berks County)

Yeah I would have no luck asking but learning as much as I can here.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    ^^^^ This works just about every time. Offering to help with baling/stacking hay, shoveling out stalls, etc in exchange for hunting permission works just about every time.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!