Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So im looking for an input here...

So i figure since im such a post apacolyptic nut, should the world come to that, i have decided that some kind of .45 cal pistol would suffice for me. Most of the fire arms i am looking for are for defense, and i know that the .45 is notorious for its reputation of putting you on your ass and leaving you there, but it is also renound for having a low mag capacity due to the size of the round. In a survival situation this would play to my disadvantage, i dont want to have to reload every seven shots and i dont want an extended clip. So i ask you now oh, great and knowledgable members of the PAFOA, what pistol will give me the bite of a .45 cal and more of it? I have one in mind already: a H&K Mark 23 as shown below(if it doesn't showgo to the site below, its safe)
    http://www.hk-usa.com/military_produ...23_general.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So im looking for an input here...

If you are looking at a Full Size pistol I would suggest the Glock 21 or XD 45. Both hold 13+1. If you want something a little bit smaller I would go for the Glock 30 which is 10+1.

You could also buy the Glock 21, Glock 30, and the XD all for less than the MK23.

(York County)

Well, you certainly have picked great firearm. It may be a bit of overkill though. The MK 23 is going to be tough to conceal, (if that matters to you). There are lots of cheaper firearms that would fit your requirements.

IMO for what your looking to do, your choice of caliber is fine, but no need to spend so much on the firearm. It would serve you better to spend a "reasonable" amount on a firearm, and the rest on ammo/training.

Dont get me wrong, I want a MK23 pretty bad, but we are talking about a "need" situation here, not a "want".

Sidenote>

Some things to consider:

.45 is not infallable my any means.

price of equipment has little relationship to effectiveness as long as you stay within certain quality/manufacturer guidelines.

Thats it for now, I'm not going to recommend any particular pistol, because I think most quality manufacturers would fit your purpose just fine, whats important is if you practice enough with it.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Glock 30, own one, love it, plenty of firepower in a small Concealable package
    Sector 4

(Westmoreland County)

Springfield Armory XD.

MK 23's are bad ass. I always wanted one. I read they shoot 1/2 groups at 25 yrds. Something cheaper would be a Glock 21, they hold 13+1
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I'm not trying to change your mind about the HK. I'd like to have one, too.

As it is, I have a Glock 30. It's not fancy, but it didn't cost a lot & I haven't had a single problem with it.

My Sig 250 Compact holds only 2 less 45's and is very accurate and comfortable to fire or conceal.

(Monroe County)

To Follow your Line of thought OP Yes the mk23 is Great, Long barrel good compacity and Great Accuracy just Shoot one you will be Sold on it.
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

Well, if you get a Glock you'll be able to repair and maintain the gun at home and right at your own workbench during, 'hard times'. All ya got'a do is keep a few extra parts on hand. (Which is the reason, 'Why' many of us have a, 'Glock Box'.)

I've been carrying a G-21 with an installed 13 round magazine, as well as an Arredondo 17 round backup magazine on the other side of my belt for the past 6 years, now. (That's 30 rounds!) Yeah, I know: I should live long enough to use all of them; but, it's more important for me to carry sufficient ammo in order to, 'fight my way home' if I get caught, 'out and about' during a time of unexpected or sudden crisis.

You're right, by the way, more ammo is better than less. After all, if you run dry; (What do they say?) 'It's only a brick!' I'm a big guy; and I've never had any trouble carrying a G-21 ITB/IWB. It's been years since the last time anybody's, 'made me' too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast