Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default OC by 17 year old?

I am probably going to regret posting this here, but here goes anyway...

Please, read this carefully before you answer. I don't really want to plow through a lot of stuff that is unrelated because it does not bear on what I am asking.

My 17 year old daughter asked me today if she could legally carry openly on our property. I did not have an answer for her. She handles my handguns on a regular basis at the range, and here in the house, but what about walking around on the property? I can't see why not, but I do not need to find out it is illegal after the fact.

Again, if you are going to answer, please answer the question I asked. Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: OC by 17 year old?

Yes and no..

Must be 18 to possess a handgun, ..to carry one(the no part). However she can while supervised while target shooting and hunting (the yes part).

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    (1) who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
    (2) who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).

(c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.
    (d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.

Thanks. She would definitely be under the supervision of her father, and it would be a lawful activity. Safety training and target shooting will be involved. We're not just going to turn her loose to stalk about the property looking for bad guys.

(Bucks County)

Wonder what constitutes "safety training" when it comes to training your own children....who's to say you weren't taken a break from a lesson when she was seen...

ETA: Plinker your replied with your training post after I hit reply, but before i hit send...a bowl of ice cream distracted me... :-)
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; September 27th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Last edited by mikey; February 27th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

I've been talking with her about this. There is going to be a definite event, and safety training and target shooting will be part of it. But we live life on the edge with this stuff, so she may be carrying a plastic gun except when she is shooting. I don't really feel like fighting a felony charge because some cop gets a bug up his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Looks like Jester will be the least of my problems, when I come over, now.
    Don't you have a gun to clean? Jester is being primed with your picture all week long.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    ... so she may be carrying a plastic gun except when she is shooting.
    Oh, like a Glock, huh?

(Bucks County)

On your own property? I don't see a problem with it. Any cop that enters my property just to hassle my kid for doing what I told her she could do, well, he has bigger issues than whether she is carrying a real gun and whether it is loaded or not. He has trespassed, and done it with a loaded firearm. Yeah, he's got bigger issues! He has issues with the Constitution and my rights as a parent.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    On your own property? I don't see a problem with it. Any cop that enters my property just to hassle my kid for doing what I told her she could do, well, he has bigger issues than whether she is carrying a real gun and whether it is loaded or not. He has trespassed, and done it with a loaded firearm. Yeah, he's got bigger issues! He has issues with the Constitution and my rights as a parent.
    But if he can see it in common view, and has reason to believe the person in question is under age - she and her parent is screwed. He's not trespassing if an actual crime is going on and acts accordingly.

Your property line isn't a border for the laws of the land.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 27th, 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast