Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default To camo or not to camo?

How much stock do you guys put in a camo'd gun? I have a wood and blue pump shotgun that I am trying to decide whether to camo or not. I don't have the $$ for dipping, those wraps/tapes don't seem to hold up, but I did see a a spray paint kit at cabelas that looked interesting. You guys think camo makes a big difference?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: To camo or not to camo?

Depends...

me personally... none. But I don't hunt Turkey, which Is supposedly one of the very few game animals that can see color. I don't think it makes any difference at all and its 100% looks.

people have been killing every kind of game animal with blued rifles for decades without an issue... don't think the game have gotten that smart yet... otherwise those sexy blaze orange vests could really become an issue :P

I definately wouldn't do it if I were you, keep it as is, don't waste your money. If you think it will make a big difference you can make a guille style cover for it without any modifications to the gun or just get a hunting blind.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

I think you should contact the people who market the camo patterns/paint, and ask them if it makes a difference... oh, wait... nevermind.

It may help some, but mainly it's a way to make money.
    If it weren't, certain camo patterns wouldn't be as "trendy" as they are.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think you should contact the people who market the camo patterns/paint, and ask them if it makes a difference... oh, wait... nevermind.

It may help some, but mainly it's a way to make money.
    If it weren't, certain camo patterns wouldn't be as "trendy" as they are.
    Nonsense... its impossible kill a dear without Realtree or Mossy Oak patterns on. everyone knows that!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

The camo is just for the hunter I think. As long as you keep your gun movements to a minimum and keep them smooth and not too big you will be fine. Don't get me wrong I am a camo freak, in it has to match. But the fashion police aren't in the woods, so as long as your silhouette is broken up you are fine. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

If you hunt turkeys I think it can make a difference. Ducks and geese have good eyes too. If you hunt casually I wouldn't bother, especially since you can use camo tape for turkey season.

Turkeys have damn good eyes. It's probably a good idea if you want to hunt them. Make sure the cammo matched where you're gong to be. I'd go with something more universal.

P-11tapeworksgoodSHOOTER

(Fayette County)

In 2006 I was in South Dakota on a Whitetail/mule deer bow hunt. One evening I was wearing tan cargo pants, a brown plaid wool shirt and a plain knit that. No face mask, or any production camo of any kind. I had a 160" 10 pt, a huge non typical and a nice 8 point all within bow range. Well if I was using a compound the 8 and non typical would have been. In fact the 10 walked directly towards me, directly under my stand (I was 15' up and looking down through the floor at him, his rack actually scraped the tree, lol) and then directly away. He never turned and I use traditional equipment so I didn't have a shot. But that proved to me watching the wind and controlling my movement was much more important than what I wore.

BTW I know it's 160" because the guy who took me hunting killed it later in the season.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Wayne County)

Cool Re: To camo or not to camo?

I`m with Dredley and Coop650. I`ve been mere feet away from deer in blaze orange and the deer had a problem figuring out what I was. Wind was in my favor. Main thing is smell and movement. If you do your job right, stay down wind and don`t move you will get your deer or turkey. Just think of all the animals that have been killed by our Dads and Grand Dads with blued guns.

Qtrborecrazy

P.S. I love stainless

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I agree that for deer t dosn't matter at all.

If you're hunting turkeys you want every advantage you can get. Those bastards have such good eyesite that a cammo shotty might not be a bad idea at all.

For everythng else, Fuck it.

(Chester County)

What everyone is missing here is one fact. Its not usually the color of the gun that will attract the attention of the game, but the glare that gun may reflect. If you have a gun with a parkerized or matte black finish to the barrel and or stock, then I'd agree that camo isn't necessary. However if you have a gun with a highly polished barrel, such as on some rifles and higher end shotguns, then yes some sort of glare reducing item should be used. I have my turkey guns camo'd with either paint or one of those pull over camo sleeves. I do the same for doves by slipping a piece of camo sleeve over the barrel of my O/U. Now for pheasant hunting etc where you are not waiting in ambush, no I don't bother with camo then as the game knows you're there anyway.

Bottom line is do what you want, but IMO camo helps. At the very least it can't hurt, and again it depends also on the game you're hunting and tactics you're using as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast