Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default self defense guideline card

found this card that i obtained years ago regarding the use of a firearm in self defense.

If you have been involved in a shooting incident, the following steps should be taken, but only after you are completely sure there is no longer a threat.

1.Secure the weapon the assailant used. Check yourself for injuries. Make a complete check of the scene,however, don't tamper with any evidence. If the person shot is no longer a threat try to help him. Don't talk to him or use abusive language. Don't touch the assailant if he appears to be dead. Don't let anyone else handle any evidence.

2. Call the police as soon as possible. Tell them what has taken place, and your location. Ask for emergency medical assistance. Don't give too many detailsof the incident over the phone. Put your weapon away, and keep it out of sight. Innocent people have been shot by the police because they were holding weapons when the officers arrived. Try to spot them first and attract them in a non-threatening manner. At first the police may treat you as a suspect, especially if you have a weapon. Do as you are told. Do not question or argue with them.

3. Call your lawyer. Make no statements to the police or anyone else, until your attorney is present. He should meet you at the scene if possible. Tell him exactly what happened and let him do the talking for you. If you must meet the police by yourself, be sure not to make any statements. Explain to the police politely, but firmly, that you don't want to talk until your attorney arrives. Keep in mind that anything you say can, and will, be used against you.

4. When the paramedics arrive get medical treatment for shock for yourself and any other person involved whether physically injured or not.

5. Stay away from the news media! Never talk or make any sort of statement to them. Let your attorney make any statements for you. Remember, the news media has NO authority. You do not have to talk to them.

6. Legal actions: You are justified in using lethal force only if you "feared for your life" or that of another person. Don't apologize for defending yourself. Avoid statements such as "I'm sorry I had to shoot" or " I regret the incident happened" Such statements are equated with feelings of guilt. You are remorseful therefore your actions were inappropriate. Such statements can cost you later on in a court of law.

7. Stress: Persons involved in shooting incidents face a great amount of stress. Psychological problems sometimes appear, and even physical ones such as sleeplessness, headaches, diarrhea, and heart problems. These problems are common and affect even trained law enforcement officers. If you encounter any of these problems, seek professional help.
    if memory serves me right, this was compiled by lawyers that deal with self defense shooting incidents.

Default Re: self defense guideline card

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    found this card that i obtained years ago regarding the use of a firearm in self defense.

if memory serves me right, this was compiled by lawyers that deal with self defense shooting incidents.
    Good post man! It is a good refresher... and a Good tool for new people to hold to...
    ΑΣΦ

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Good post man! It is a good refresher... and a Good tool for new people to hold to...
    ^ +1 ^ this one
    "I Don't Miss"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    yeah i found it when i was searching for my very first ltcf, just for sh&ts and giggles for those people that get so pissed when someone calls it a cwp.i dont know how it is in other counties, but my very first ltcf in monroe county without a doubt said" concealed weapons permit" but the 2 i have had since then have said "license to carry firearms". mind you this was 11 or 12 years ago.

just like if you watch an old episode of cops, they used to call the P.I.T. maneuver the "pursuit intervention technique" now its called the "precision immobilization technique" potatoes potahtoes, but i thought the info on that card was well worth posting.

i just saw this info was posted on here in 2007 by another member also, sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; July 7th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

for those people that get so pissed when someone calls it a cwp.i dont know how it is in other counties, but my very first ltcf in monroe county without a doubt said" concealed weapons permit" but the 2 i have had since then have said "license to carry firearms". mind you this was 11 or 12 years ago.
    If at any time you could scan that and post it, it would be interesting to see

Oh, and thanks for the self defense tips. All good ones there, for sure.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If at any time you could scan that and post it, it would be interesting to see

Oh, and thanks for the self defense tips. All good ones there, for sure.
    dont forget the part that said it was for sh&ts and giggles, in no way was it intended to start drama. partial quotes are a melting pot for trouble. and no problem, i even enjoyed reading that card when i found it.

and i would be more than happy to post it once i find it, that is the only old one i have , i had to turn in my second one upon renewal.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; July 7th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Shouldn't 2&3 be switched?

Call your lawyer first, then the cops.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Shouldn't 2&3 be switched?

Call your lawyer first, then the cops.
    i typed word for word how it was on the card, maybe the reasoning is, if they check your cell records, they could say that your first call to your lawyer wasted precious time when the paramedics could have been on their way to save the attackers life if he in fact dies.

i would assume you'll have plenty of time to call your lawyer while waiting for a response from the police.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: self defense guideline card

Thanks for the post, I printed it out and I'll keep a few copies where they are handy. thanks much
    Last edited by duane1; July 7th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
    Thanks for the post, I printed it out and I'll keep a few copies were there handy. thanks much
    you got it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast