Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is is that difficult to not shoot the target frames?

This is my grumpy old man rant for the day. I'll be ok after a little while.

Went to the club to shoot some sporting clays and spent most of the day fixing someone elses mess.

Now I expect a round from time to time to end up in the beams, everybody flinches or makes bad shots from time to time, especially someone new to pistols.

but what really gets me: (especially at a private club)

Posting your effin targets directly on the wood.

Using the wood beams/posts as your target.

Patterning your shotgun on the pistol range

Leaving your used cardboard box used to pattern said shotgun hanging on the post.

Leaving trash everywhere.

Leaving trashed targets on the boards.... a fairly unused target I have no problem with... someone will use it.

This post below was shot repeatedly with shot of multiple sizes, I had to crackerrig a reinforcement box around it to extend it's life a little before we dig a new one.

And then more pics of the fresh beams. Put a 3" rough lumbar facer to absorb some of the pistol rounds before they get to the other posts.

.... probably wasted more of the red paint though.

Because I can't fit Catman in my pocket.

Default Re: Is is that difficult to not shoot the target frames?

A few stray bullets here and there add up when you have hundreds of people shooting thousands of rounds.

I complain about there being bullet holes in the roofs of the pavilions. Because you know theres only one way they got there.....and thats damn scary. At least your frames are down range.
    [account deactivated]

(Luzerne County)

I had to look to see if you were in my area and possibly a member of my club. We have been battling the same thing. Our target stands are movable and consist of 2x4s which drop into a steel base base with rebar legs. When the idiots are done blowing out the 2x4s they start shooting the steel base. Low and behold we wind up with steel embedded into 2x4 nubs that cannot be removed and the whole thing becomes trash.

Months ago I started thinking to myself the same thing that is in the title of your thread, "is it that hard....", well I've come to realize that 90% of it is intentional. It really burns my ass to see this kind of stuff after seeking out and joining a private club entirely for the sake of getting away from that sort of asshattery at the public ranges.

(Pike County)

As an RSO I'm trying to ask people, not to place their targets too close to the posts. Some still do, trying to squeeze 3 large targets on 1 stand. I got used to it, I just shrug, give them a new stand and go replace the fucked up post, thinking about sunshine and puppies.

I was still called names in other thread the other day for being "too strict" by a person, who never actually met me.
    Je suis déplorable

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    This is my grumpy old man rant for the day. I'll be ok after a little while.

Went to the club to shoot some sporting clays and spent most of the day fixing someone elses mess.

Now I expect a round from time to time to end up in the beams, everybody flinches or makes bad shots from time to time, especially someone new to pistols.

but what really gets me: (especially at a private club)

Posting your effin targets directly on the wood.

Using the wood beams/posts as your target.

Patterning your shotgun on the pistol range

Leaving your used cardboard box used to pattern said shotgun hanging on the post.

Leaving trash everywhere.

Leaving trashed targets on the boards.... a fairly unused target I have no problem with... someone will use it.
    Oh yeah I remember this crap over at BRCV gun club, it happened all the time. They went through a lot of target frames over the years and at one point they said that if you want a frame then bring it. So much for taking pride in your club.

(Delaware County)

Happens at the club where I shoot too. Seems to be more accidental than deliberate, but for every crowd there's an a**hole. I think that last is in the Bible.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Indiana County)

Set up a few trail cams.

Find the offenders.

Have them booted for willful destruction of club property.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I was still called names in other thread the other day for being "too strict" by a person, who never actually met me.
    I was out there on Sunday. Unfortunately ran out of time before a a space on the pistol range freed up (holiday family time, pent up demand from bad weather, etc.). But it was still worth-while to spend time as an observer in a new-to-me facility.

I have to say, the RSOs were awesome. Saw examples of kindness, very friendly correction, patient mentoring, and great generosity that did the old heart good.

(Mercer County)

The way we solved that problems of wood target frames getting shoot to hell was to make the frames out metal with slide ins for plywood to mount the targets on.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Unfortunatly joining a private club will not get you away from all of the asshattery. There are a bunch that believe that their dues pay for someone else to clean up after themselves.

Some is ingnorance.

We use wire backers on the rifle range that is attached to 4x4's that are mounted into "quick change mounts".

After replacing some of the wire this weekend, I left some of the wire on the range. Wonder how long it will take for it to disappear without being used to replace the 50 yd wire, which gets shot out pretty quick.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast