Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default feed back on Springfield XD subcompact 9mm

im in the market for a new subcompact carry gun, and have been reading alot of positive reviews on the XD. im looking for some real life opinions. Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: feed back on Springfield XD subcompact 9mm

Let me start with this disclaimer, I'm a fanboy.

It's hard for me not to be. I have fired about 9,000+ probably 10,000 rounds through my SA XD SC 9mm with the factory mags I have never ever had a misfeed! I've had misfeeds with my 36rnd aftermarket cheap mags pretty much everytime, so don't buy those unless you want to clear stove pipes. I run about 300 rnds in 45 minutes at the range every time I shoot. I bought a 9mm sa xd compact that performs exactly as well. My ammo is everything from powerball glazzer federal fiochi but mostly WInchester white box value packs from walmart. hollow points have never jammed. I have had one malfunction at 8,000 rounds of a trigger spring. I was not firing the gun at the time so I'm not sure if it failed legitimatly or for some other reason (dropping?) The guy that was shooting my gun was in the booth beside me at the time with his cousin supervising him. I'm pretty certain it did legitimatly fail but I can't be sure. SA sent me a fedex box sticker via ema and paid 100% for shipping back and forth and fix it no charge within a week. Call there local number the 800 number never let's you get through. I love the gun and suspect that it will never fail again. I use smart carry as my cc holster and SERPA as my OC mikes for ITWB. I have more than a few assecories the light/ laser a four mag holster etc... In my opinion a perfect 9mm. Plenty to rent out there GO TRY ONE before you buy and see if it suits you!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: feed back on Springfield XD subcompact 9mm

FYI: Glocks are the main competition. The angle doesn't fit my hand and I cannot shoot as well with any of them except a glock 21g .45 with a barstol (sp?) barrel. I also like my fn five seven but the ammo is too expensive to make it a daily shooter. my mark II ruger .22 is a PITA misfeeder no matter how much I polish the feed.

Shoot the xdsc then a few glocks and see which one suits you best ! good luck!

(Cumberland County)

thanks for your time. ive been impressed with what i have read about the gun but i value real life opinions over paid ads. its high on my list of contenders and keeps rising.

(Cumberland County)

the Glock is considered a double action trigger where as the XD is considered a single. You dont have that "staged" feel in the trigger pull

(Allegheny County)

My XD9SC is my carry gun, and I'm quite happy with it.

I haven't had any major reliability concerns.

I've run it through a training class without problems. At the local group shoots I'll unload my carry ammo, and myself and others will run a large number of rounds through it without any problems. At the end of the shoot, I load back up my carry ammo and go along my way. So it's not like it just stays tucked away in my waistband and never sees any use.

The main point of difference between the XD and the Glock is going to be the grip angle. This can only be accounted for by personal taste, there's no "right" or "wrong" here.

I will agree that the stock XD trigger is not as nice as in the Glock. It's not terrible by any means. There are trigger jobs out there that will tighten things up, but I don't know that it's a really a concern for a self-defense gun as opposed to a competition gun.

It conceals well for me IWB with a Comp-Tac MTAC holster.

I highly recommend the use of Pearce Grip Extensions, whether you go with the smallest model Glock or XD. It really gives the gun a much better grip, without printing anymore than the flush-fitting 13rd magazine. The included 16rd extended magazine gives you more of a full-size grip as well, but if you're going to carry this way you might as well just bump up a model since this is going to change the way the gun prints significantly.

Pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

A couple of pictures:

XD 9mm SC - Concealed in MTAC Holster
    Same as above, shirt lifted to show carry position.
    Boring picture of gun on desk. Without grip extension.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

I've had mine for about a month without any issues. Goes bang when I pull the trigger, and have had no malfunctions after about 250 rounds at the range.
    I did add the Crimson Trace Laser Grips, and would highly reccomend them. I know this is not a target pistol, but I was consistantly shooting high left with the standard sights, which got consistantly worse as the distance increased. No problem now after the Laser Grips.

Ken

Have a couple XD's 100% reliable with any ammo I feed them, even lead reloads.

I'm partial to the XD45 compact, same grip length, 4" barrel as the SC
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

I've had quite a few pistols through the years and the XD9 sc is right at the top of the list. IMO all the XD line of pistols are fine reliable shooters. I knew the minute I picked my XD9sc off the counter top at the gun dealer it was mine. I have no regrets what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Plenty to rent out there GO TRY ONE before you buy and see if it suits you!
    +1

I shot one back-to-back with a Glock 26. It shot fine and was accurate enough for my needs, but the bore axis felt high to me, especially compared to the G26. Absolutely nothing wrong with the gun, just my personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast