Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Crazy stuff I did as a kid

At the place and time these things were just kids playing, today they would be considered horrible and many of them felonies.

A buddy of mine got hold of an 1858 sptingfield, we didnt have any black powder, so we loades it with cherry bomb powrer with chewed up newspaper for wads and a nit and bolt for bullets, kicked hard, shot lousy but shot through 2 cars in the junk yard.

All the guys in town would take toy soldiers with toy jeeps and put cherry bombs near them then back up a good distance and make believe we were artillery by shooting at the cherry bombs which would explode if hit dead on.

Made rockets by getting copper pipe, bend one end over then stuff it with match heads, then lay it on a board pointed up at a nice angle then light it, usually flew pretty good but sometimes blew up.

When we got old enough to drive we got black powder and made pipe bombs to set off in the junk yard, littleones were thrown in old cars as handgrenades, bigger ones were put under junkers to see if we could make it lift off the ground [ none ever lifted the cars] this was in the early 1950s it was dangerous then and illegal now so don't try it today, we had big fun but those days are gone now

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Crazy stuff I did as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    At the place and time these things were just kids playing, today they would be considered horrible and many of them felonies.

A buddy of mine got hold of an 1858 sptingfield, we didnt have any black powder, so we loades it with cherry bomb powrer with chewed up newspaper for wads and a nit and bolt for bullets, kicked hard, shot lousy but shot through 2 cars in the junk yard.

All the guys in town would take toy soldiers with toy jeeps and put cherry bombs near them then back up a good distance and make believe we were artillery by shooting at the cherry bombs which would explode if hit dead on.

Made rockets by getting copper pipe, bend one end over then stuff it with match heads, then lay it on a board pointed up at a nice angle then light it, usually flew pretty good but sometimes blew up.

When we got old enough to drive we got black powder and made pipe bombs to set off in the junk yard, littleones were thrown in old cars as handgrenades, bigger ones were put under junkers to see if we could make it lift off the ground [ none ever lifted the cars] this was in the early 1950s it was dangerous then and illegal now so don't try it today, we had big fun but those days are gone now

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Great story Montell! My friends and I kind of did similar things. Our parents were always into shooting and reloading. We would take a peice of alluminum pipe (approximately 3/4 diameter) stuff one end into a bon fire and then slide a 7.62 x 39mm down the other end. Wait a couple seconds and ZING!! wouldn't go all that far but still was pretty funny. Then we graduated to building pipe bombs with my dads gun powder that he would use for reloading his shotgun shells. 2 peices of black pipe 2 ends a drill and a peice of wick about 2 ft long and you hand yourself a pretty nice show.

If my son does it I will kick his butt from here to china!!! haha
    Gun Control means using both HANDS!!!

(Allegheny County)

Good thing I never did anything like that or I may be tempted to post about it in a public internet forum.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Clinton County)

I can post these things now cause it's been at least 50 years, and except fot the pipe bombs none of it was illigal, at least I think they weren't.

Another trick I almost forgot about was to take an 1 1/2 inch pipe and get a cap then drill a hole in the cap then put a cherry bomb fuse through the hole and screw it onto the pipe. you then leane the pipe on a fallen tree and slid a golf ball down the pipe, it would throw the golf ball at least 300 yards probably further.

(Philadelphia County)

I mostly just did stupid things as a kid, for example climbing to the top of a tree and jumping to the one next to it. Having competitions with my friends to see who could jump off the tallest object, etc.

I am amazed that I have never broken a bone or had stitches.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Westmoreland County)

When I was younger, me and a couple buddies taped 2 D size model rocket engines to a Tyco remote controlled sprint car. We didn't have an electric launcher, so we used a couple pieces of cannon fuse and lit that sucker up in the middle of the road in front of my house. It was about 2 am and no traffic, but wouldn't you know...as soon as the fuse was lit, a car comes around the corner! We tried to drive it off the road with the remote control but just then...IGNITION!! It took off like a "rocket" right into the neighbors shrubs! After some frantic emergency fire suppression, we went off to do something less dangerous like lighting black powder!

(Allegheny County)

I ran with scissors once.

(the pointy kind)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Hehe, I was big into explosives when I was younger. I used to fill tennis balls with black powder and duct tape around it a few times, and light them off. We bought a bunch of the biggest rocket engines we could find and wired them up on those little razor scooters, and set them off while we rode them. Had plenty of fun with half sticks/quarter sticks. I blew up trees, and sent trash cans flying 30 feet in the air. We had bottles rocket wars, were we would launch bottle rockets at each other (that was fun). We also used to fill balloons with butane fuel and blow them up, and also threw butane cans in a fire and watch them explode. The list goes on and on...I'm surprised none of us died. Haha.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Good thing I never did anything like that or I may be tempted to post about it in a public internet forum.
    Statute of Limitations my friend

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamantGuitarist View Post
    We had bottles rocket wars, were we would launch bottle rockets at each other (that was fun).
    Sounds like my last canoe trip!! haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast