Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: My fathers gun

(Bucks County)

Default My fathers gun

I have a permit to carry in PA, can i carry a firearm left to me by my deceased father while it is still in his name?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: My fathers gun

assuming the transfer took place in a legal manner. Both PA residents, left in will or some such. As there is no registry in pa the firearm can't be in his name ,therefore, yes, you can pack it.

Quote Originally Posted by inkedupmick View Post
    I have a permit to carry in PA, can i carry a firearm left to me by my deceased father while it is still in his name?
    USNRET '61-'81

(Bucks County)

Along those same lines...My dad gave me a 1947 Colt 1911 for christmas this year. He's had the gun for 40+ years, but it was given to him by a Marine buddy back in the late Fifty's. No transfer, no paperwork...would I be allowed to carry this family heirloom, or would it be better to leave it in the safe except to pass it along to my kids?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by restojunkie1967 View Post
    Along those same lines...My dad gave me a 1947 Colt 1911 for christmas this year. He's had the gun for 40+ years, but it was given to him by a Marine buddy back in the late Fifty's. No transfer, no paperwork...would I be allowed to carry this family heirloom, or would it be better to leave it in the safe except to pass it along to my kids?
    You're allow to carry it just the same as if you bought it. No transfer paperwork necessary between spouses, parents, children, grandparents or grandchildren.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by restojunkie1967 View Post
    Not sure of 1950s law, but the Marine buddy giving it to your father may have been an illegal transfer...........But Title 18 §6111. Sale or transfer of firearms. Para 7c states:
    Duty of other persons.-Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sher*iff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild
    Therefore his transfer to you without going through a PICS check and transfer at a dealer is completely legal, so you're good.....

then again I think you are correct in calling this pistol a family heirloom, I'd stow it in the safe.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Bucks County)

I'm starting to think the same thing - time to buy a new 1911!