Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Question NRA Question....

IMHO

I see that the NRA is now giving away "Free" Memberships as a means of increasing membership [to have more political clout] and having a larger base of members to badger for donations.

I received a phone call about a month ago to rejoin the NRA and told the person trying to recruit me that if he would send me official correspondence showing the salaries of CEO Wayne LaPierre and members of the Board of Directors I would become a endowment member. I was told the information would be mailed out to me [still waiting] but received mailings requesting cash for the cause.

If any members know how to google up that information please provide a link as I would be interested in knowing if they have taken a pay cut like just about everyone else in todays economy.

The last salary I seen for Mr LaPierre was in 2004 and it was stated as $895,897 or some such number just wee bit under $900,000 so I would guess at the present time he is earning over a million annually. Not bad bucks for working for a non-profit organization

Thanks in advance

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; May 5th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Chester County)

Default Re: NRA Question....

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    IMHO

I see that the NRA is now giving away "Free" Memberships as a means of increasing membership [to have more political clout] and having a larger base of members to badger for donations.

I received a phone call about a month ago to rejoin the NRA and told the person trying to recruit me that if he would send me official correspondence showing the salaries of CEO Wayne LaPierre and members of the Board of Directors I would become a endowment member. I was told the information would be mailed out to me [still waiting] but received mailings requesting cash for the cause.

If any members know how to google up that information please provide a link as I would be interested in knowing if they have taken a pay cut like just about everyone else in todays economy.

The last salary I seen for Mr LaPierre was in 2004 and it was stated as $895,897 or some such number just wee bit under $900,000 so I would guess at the present time he is earning over a million annually. Not bad buck for working for a non-profit organization

Thanks in advance

oracle
    Regardless of what Wayne gets paid, they are the strongest group looking out for our best interests. Executives (in all fields) get paid a lot of money to do what they do. If they only paid their VP $75k, they would have a $75k VP. Someone with the credentials would certainly go elsewhere if they could get paid more. For a million dollars a year, hopefully the NRA has a million dollar a year VP. I don't know Wayne's credentials but hopefully he is on par with his salary.

(Northumberland County)

i am still waiting for my free membership its been 3 weeks now.......

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i am still waiting for my free membership its been 3 weeks now.......

I would imagine it will take some time as they are probably getting thousands of people signing up. Also, with anything like that I find they say it can take from 6 to 10 weeks to start before you start receiving anything. I know with some subscriptions, paid ones, I have waited as long as 8+ weeks for them to start.
    Pooch
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

I think he is paid what he deserves!! He gets about .01% of the revenue. Look at the CEO of the Red Cross, look at the top 10 charity orgs.

Charity Name CEO Salary Compensation from Affiliates
    Safe Kids Worldwide - $1,987,857
    MusiCares - $1,242,628
    Children's Hospital and Health System Foundation of Wisconsin - $1,020,852
    Drexel University College of Medicine - $910,964
    Arby's Foundation - $724,038
    National Academy of Engineering Fund - $552,640

Advice for Donors

While it is true that the paychecks of some nonprofit executives are outrageously high, this study confirms that those receiving excessive pay are in the minority. However, we recognize that many donors will be hesitant to agree that the CEO of their favorite charity deserves a six figure salary. To the skeptics, we ask that you keep in mind that the charities included in this study are multi-million dollar operations. Leading one of them requires an individual that possesses both an understanding of the issues that are unique to the charity's mission as well as business and management expertise similar to that required of for-profit CEOs. Attracting and retaining that type of talent requires a certain level of compensation - roughly $149,000 according to our analysis. For comparative purposes, the average salary of CEOs at S&P 250 companies is $1 million, excluding bonus packages and stock options that drive the average compensation up to $11 million.
    We offer the following tips to help you critique the compensation of a charity's top leader.

1. Obtain comparison data.
    Use the information provided in this article to compare a CEO's salary to other similarly sized charities, as well as those in the same category and region. Charity Navigator registered users can compare the CEO salaries of specific charities on their "My Charities" page and on each charity's rating page by clicking on the "Compare These Charities" link. Registered users can also access Charity Navigator's "Sector Analysis" tool to calculate the average CEO pay by cause and state. In addition, an annual review and assessment of CEO compensation is a recognized best practice.5 We suggest our users contact the organization of their choice, and inquire how annual compensation is set.
    2. Be skeptical of charities that report zero CEO compensation.
    There are very few individuals that can afford to work full-time managing complex, multi-million dollar organizations without receiving any compensation. If a charity you are considering reports no salary for its CEO, then we recommend you contact it directly- using the information we provide- to learn how it has been able to attract and retain a competent leader without paying that individual. It might have a legitimate answer. However, most likely the charity failed to appropriately report the CEO's salary to the IRS or respond to our analysts' requests for that data.
    3. Consider the performance of the charity in relation to the CEO's pay.
    If you come across a charity whose CEO pay is higher than other similar charities, don't immediately dismiss that charity's request for funding. You're better off supporting a charity that is fiscally efficient, achieving its programmatic goals and paying its CEO well, than a charity that has substandard fiscal health, fails to live up to its mission, but under-pays its CEO.
    4. Be cautious if the charity has given the CEO a loan.
    While it can be difficult to ascertain, if you do learn that a charity's top leader received a loan, you should think twice about supporting that charity. We maintain that a charity isn't in business to provide low or no-interest loans so its CEO can move into an exclusive neighborhood or purchase a new, luxury car. If the CEO's compensation is reasonable, then why does he/she require a discount loan to work for that charity?
    Last edited by Dannytheman; May 5th, 2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Some years back, I felt disillusioned with the NRA, and considered canceling my membership. After much thought, I renewed it. The NRA may not be perfect. But it’s the only major National organization. That has stood up for the 2nd Amendment many times over.. Without the NRA I believe the gun world would be a very different place.

(Adams County)

The NRA is very necesary, IMHO. They have instant name recognition, you mention NRA and people know who you're talking about and what they stand for.

They're not perfect--no organization is--but I would rather see them begging for money and paying a high salary to the pres then them :not existing at all.

Question: Did the people of England or Australia have something like the NRA before their govenrments slapped the pee-pee of the citizens and took their mean, dangerous guns?

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Berks County)

I've said this far more eloquently in the past so I'll ty to be blunt here.

No tool is perfect nor will any ever be. Right now the NRA is the largest, most well known, most recognized, and most politically feared gun rights organization in the country. When they speak, politicians listen because they know what kind of resources the NRA has starting with its members votes on election day. No its not perfect, but right now its the best tool we have. If those who use firearms for purposes other than hunting and sport shooting want the NRA to focus on gun rights issues not related to hunting and sport shooting they need to join and speak up because right now the NRAs membership is primarily hunters and sport shooters so that's who they focus on.

That's reality folks, every organization, no matter what it fights for, will focus primarily on the specific issues pertinent to its members. If the majority of its members owned guns for personal defense the NRA would focus on personal defense and hunters would be the ones saying "Why should I join, they don't care about hunters." If the majority of the NRA's members owned guns because they were collectors thats what the NRA would focus on and sport shooters would be saying "Why should I join, they don't care about shooting sports." The majority of ts members speak, it listens. If you want it to listen to a different majority then you have the join so the majority changes.

If zombies rose today and the only gun you had on hand was a .22 target pistol would you refuse to use it because its not the perfect tool for the job? Or would you load it up, head out, pick your battles and take careful aim?

The NRA is on the battle field, their guns are loaded, they're picking their battles and taking careful aim. At 4 million members out of 80 million gun owners (of the 300 million national population) thats what they have to do. With only 5% of the nations gun owners as members (1.3% of the population) they can't fight every battle, they can't fight most of the battles, they cant even fight half of the battles.

Every national gun rights organization should have a membership of at least 80 million, yet the largest one only has 5% of gun owners as members. One box of WWB will buy a one year membership in most of the national orgs, the change left from any of those put with the price of another box will cover the cost of the rest. One box of WWB = one membership. Unless you honestly can't afford to go to the range there's no legitimate excuse for not being a member in all the national orgs. If the NRA, GOA, JPFO, SAF, etc all had 80 million members do you think that any gun control legislation would ever get passed? Do you think there'd be much of a fight to get the current laws repealed? If all the national 2A rights organizations had 26.67% of the nations population as members do you think any politician would even dare to try to infringe on our rights?

So now its up to you, use the best tool you have at your disposal while developing other tools, or sit on the sidelines crying because you're not in the game.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Question: Did the people of England or Australia have something like the NRA before their govenrments slapped the pee-pee of the citizens and took their mean, dangerous guns?
    camper
    Was that a rhetorical question? Anyone know the answers because I dont?

(Philadelphia County)

The last info I've seen is for 2007, which puts executive salaries at 1.3% of NRA spending.

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2009...-another-myth/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast