Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default lee safety prime problem

Hi Guys,
    Need some help. Last 2 nights using my Lee CTP, I have had intermittent problems with the safety prime. It puts the primer in sideways. Tonight I dremeled the primer arm. It still happened 2 times after. What is causing it? Has this happened to anyone else?

There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: lee safety prime problem

is it dropping them in the arm sideways? I always look before I press a primer in. you're not using the large arm with small primers are you?
    if you are doing everything right, I would guess you have a bad safety prime. Call Lee, they have great support.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackHawk View Post
    is it dropping them in the arm sideways? I always look before I press a primer in. you're not using the large arm with small primers are you?
    if you are doing everything right, I would guess you have a bad safety prime. Call Lee, they have great support.

No, they are going in the arm the right way...its when lower the ram is when they get turned sideways.

Small arm with small primers. dont think i had the problem with the large primer arm.

This problem just started. I have loaded about 3500+ rounds so far, this started happening.
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

(Allegheny County)

I use the Lee Classic Turret with the same safety prime system. I have done this but only on a very rare occasion. Are you certain that the primers are in the pivoting holder properly - the case that actually holds the collection of primers? That is, all of the primers are face up and you can see the powder and anvil. I actually had to take my small safety primer apart and slightly enlarge the hole where the primer comes out. I mean SLIGHTLY.

I would take your safety prime arm out and clean the pocket as well as the arm. Mine gets a black gunk build up on the back side that prevented the arm from coming in and out normally. This may or may not help your problem.

Btw, you can safely press this primer out if you put the shell back in the holder and, wearing glasses and hearing protection, very slowly press the primer out. I have had to do this a half dozen times and each time the primer was reuable.

Let us know what is happens.

(Schuylkill County)

If its less than 2 years old send it back to Lee. Don't start cutting and grinding as it may be defective from the manufacturer.

Only think I could add would be the primer pocket might be dirty? Or maybe a burr on the little cup that the primer sits in?

I have a ram prime (not the one with the loader-clicker thing,,, just the ram primer) and have not had any issues.

(Westmoreland County)

I agree, contact lee. You may also want to look into using a hand prime tool instead, I feel a little more control over the seating of the primers than I did when I used the press itself. Just dump primers in the tray shake back and forth a few times and they are all the right way up. Just a though.