Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fed-Ex not releasing firearms returned from repair

What an utterly infuriating morning for me..

A few weeks back I sent a 1911 to Springfield Armory for repair.

It was shipped back to me earlier this week via FedEx. The first delivery attempt was made Tues., I was not home, and ended up just having them hold it at the local hub (an hour away), thinking I would pick it up last night. Due to the storms we had around here last night I ended up going first thing this a.m. to get it.

Walked in shortly after the hub opened at nine a.m. showed them the door tag, and the lady went in the back. When she did not come out after a couple of minutes I knew something was wrong.

After 5 minutes she returns and asks me if I have an FFL..Apparently FedEx security flagged my repaired firearm as needing to be released to an FFL holder only. Even if I had been home for the initial delivery attempt, the driver would not have released it unless he was shown an FFL (or so I was told).

I was frankly quite pissed at this point and was told to wait until they got in touch with FedEx security. Another few minutes elapsed and I had pretty much had it and asked to speak to whomever was in charge and this person essentially reiterated what I had already been told.

I really could not contain my agitation any longer and I started ranting and raving about them being in violation of Federal Law which allows non-licensees to receive firearms that have been sent out for repair. Apparently this was the right approach, because she went back and returned with my package and I was on my way.

The moment I got in my car I called Springfield and spoke to their C.S. dept. Apparently this is an ongoing issue for them, the lady I spoke to said that 3 other people had this happen to them this week.
    Last edited by glocke12; June 28th, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Fed-Ex not releasing firearms returned from repair

BS. You are already the registered owner. They want you to transfer ownership of a gun you already own to yourself?

(Bucks County)

This doesn't make me happy... my XDM is at SA right now...
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

I don't believe this to be a Fed-EX policy; rather, it may be specific to that hub. I had a firearm sent back to me by S&W and I had it held at the local Fed-Ex hub when the first delivery attempt failed. Went there with my tracking number written on a piece of paper and walked out 2 minutes later after a nice discussion with the employee about guns (very pro gun lady). This happened at the King of Prussia hub.

ETA: This was last week.
    Last edited by RXM; June 28th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    This doesn't make me happy... my XDM is at SA right now...
    Hopefully SA will set FedEx straight on this before yours is shipped out...When I was on the phone with SA, the lady on the other end let out an audible sigh of disgust when she heard about this, so I suspect that FedEx will be getting an earful about this...I am debating calling FedEx myself and lodging a complaint..
    Last edited by glocke12; June 28th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I don't believe this to be a Fed-EX policy; rather, it may be specific to that hub. I had a firearm sent back to me by S&W and I had it held at the local Fed-Ex hub when the first delivery attempt failed. Went there with my tracking number written on a piece of paper and walked out 2 minutes later after a nice discussion with the employee about guns (very pro gun lady). This happened at the King of Prussia hub.
    Ive received firearms at this hub (Bethlehem) before (CMP rifles, and a Sig 226 I had sent into to sig for repair) and did not have this issue.

Also, like I said, the order to hold the firearm came from FedEx security, and SA also indicated that there have been 3 other instances of this in the past week alone, presumably in different parts of the country.

(Luzerne County)

I thought this was a well known pa law? I guess not...

You can ship a gun yourself no problem, but to receive it back it must go through a FFL and must be transferred back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    I thought this was a well known pa law? I guess not...

You can ship a gun yourself no problem, but to receive it back it must go through a FFL and must be transferred back to you.
    Citation please.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Citation please.
    I also thought this to be the case which is why i am hesitant to send mine out, I would be interested to see that actual rules.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by zeroflat24 View Post
    I also thought this to be the case which is why i am hesitant to send mine out, I would be interested to see that actual rules.
    This is not the case....

Firearms sent to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair can be returned right to your doorstep. Id be happy to be proven wrong on this however if someone can show me that law that prohibits this.

Fromt the ATF FAQ:

Q: A firearm is delivered to a licensee by an unlicensed individual for the purpose of repair. Is the return of the repaired firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law? Would the transfer of a replacement firearm from the licensee to the owner of the damaged firearm be subject to the requirements of the Brady law?
    Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee’s permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.
    [27 CFR 478.124-25]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brad...epair-transfer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast