Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK 47 buying

(Philadelphia County)

Default AK 47 buying

Hey name is Manny I live in northeast Philadelphia I'm looking to purchase a AK-47 come income tax time. Can anyone help me out on what to look for and what not to. Wanted to get this http://sovereignguns.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=343 like the tactical look to it cause i wanna mount some kinda red dot or something to it. Then I saw this http://tickbitesupply.com/akstk.html strike force kit on this site so i thought ill buy a cheap normal wood stock AK and by that kit to give me a tactical looking AK. I know surplus city on bustleton has some basic Aks to choice from. Any brand i should look for? I know different countries make them and all just really don't know and thought if i get other peoples input on it would make buying one a little better. Thanks any help would be great!

Default Re: AK 47 buying

Go to a Dunhams when they're having sale and pick up a wasr-10. They're cheap and work well.... you just gotta spend a little time scraping cosmoline out of every little nook and cranny. I bought one there in the spring of 2010 and paid a little over $400 for the rifle and a few boxes of ammo.

ETA: If you do decide to get one at dunhams, look it over very closely. One of the ones I looked at had the sights canted to left a little and I've heard about other wasr's with the same problem from other people. And make sure the mags fit well, I had to argue with the guy at the counter for a while to let me try some of the others they had lying in the case so I could pick the best ones.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; January 12th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    Go to a Dunhams when they're having sale and pick up a wasr-10. They're cheap and work well.... you just gotta spend a little time scraping cosmoline out of every little nook and cranny. I bought one there in the spring of 2010 and paid a little over $400 for the rifle and a few boxes of ammo.

ETA: If you do decide to get one at dunhams, look it over very closely. One of the ones I looked at had the sights canted to left a little and I've heard about other wasr's with the same problem from other people. And make sure the mags fit well, I had to argue with the guy at the counter for a while to let me try some of the others they had lying in the case so I could pick the best ones.
    Where would i find them got a site or anything?

(Cumberland County)

WASR-10's are great buy you MUST look it over first. You find a straight one, buy it up. Mine works great.

I'd avoid the plasticy stuff. Stick with wood, or if you want rails, look into the Ultimak rail system. I have the top rail (gas tube) and it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyssj13 View Post
    Where would i find them got a site or anything?
    http://www.dunhamssports.com/

Just find one near you and go in and check out their inventory and see when their next sale is coming up. BTW the website doesn't even show half the guns the dunhams has here.

(Lancaster County)

Buy this. In the meantime, spend some time here.
    Last edited by johnfritz; January 12th, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Fix the forum linky.
    Johnnie F.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
    Buy this. In the meantime, spend some time here.
    i just came across that forum two seconds ago just signed up going to give it a look i still got a couple month till i get my tax money to do a little research thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Start here first

if you are on a tight budget buy this

you can add an adapter from Krebs custom if you want to swap out the stock

if you want to buy right, get this

(Lancaster County)

This forum is the first one I linked to but I forgot that you have to register before you can get into it. It's a great forum.

I bought a GP-1975 from J&G Sales and I freakin' love it! All I read on-line was what a piece of shit this rifle is but I am telling you, for four hundred and fifty bucks it is a dealio superb.

But if I had it to do all over again I would absolutely grab one of those milled receiver Polish AK's that I linked to. You need to register for the AK forum and do some reading too before you buy your first.

One thing I can tell you is that it is near impossible to find a good deal on a used AK on the forums. They get bought in seconds after they're listed. Grab that Polish AK. You won't be disappointed I don't think.
    Johnnie F.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by senorlinc View Post
    Start here first

if you are on a tight budget buy this

you can add an adapter from Krebs custom if you want to swap out the stock

if you want to buy right, get this
    The tight budget link you sent didn't work I don't know how much ill be getting back from taxes but don't wanna spend more then $500-$600 on one the cheaper/best one i could get would be better not trying to spend tons on one and don't wanna be to cheap about it. Still got a month or two to do some looking around reading into it asking people. I own a walther g22 S&W M&P 9mm and Mosin Nagant so i think next on my list would be a AK since they are cheap fun and super reliable guns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast