Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Need (HELP!) a Club to shoot, Pittsburgh (south)

I've recently been inquiring about joining Gun Clubs in the Pittsburgh area and finding it's not all that easy! You would think they would want to keep people from doing other harmful activities and keep people involved in the OUTDOORS. It's almost like they're some secret society who doesn't like OUTSIDERS... Anyway I've tried Mcdonald Sportsman club they don't have much to say just "We're not taking any new members". Canonsburg supposedly has a 300 person waiting list! I haven't tried Collier sportsmans because I don't know any members... I used to shoot there all the time til my uncle passed away... HELP a BROHER OUT MEMBERS..PLEASE

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need (HELP!) a Club to shoot, Pittsburgh (south)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMetal View Post
    I've recently been inquiring about joining Gun Clubs in the Pittsburgh area and finding it's not all that easy! You would think they would want to keep people from doing other harmful activities and keep people involved in the OUTDOORS. It's almost like they're some secret society who doesn't like OUTSIDERS... Anyway I've tried Mcdonald Sportsman club they don't have much to say just "We're not taking any new members". Canonsburg supposedly has a 300 person waiting list! I haven't tried Collier sportsmans because I don't know any members... I used to shoot there all the time til my uncle passed away... HELP a BROHER OUT MEMBERS..PLEASE
    Here is a list & contacts of a bunch of clubs.
    http://acslpa.org/html/acsl_member_clubs.html

Most clubs have closed memberships they open up every once in a while to let in new people. First find a club you want to join then do the work of getting yourself in by attending their monthly meeting and go right to the top by asking leadership. It takes extra time and effort unless you know someone to get you in.

If you want to stay in the south hills might want to look at Dormont Mt Leabanon, then there are the monthly PAFOA group shoots at PMSC IF you go someone will be able to help you out.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Westmoreland County)

Another link for you....

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Most clubs have closed memberships they open up every once in a while to let in new people. First find a club you want to join then do the work of getting yourself in by attending their monthly meeting and go right to the top by asking leadership. It takes extra time and effort unless you know someone to get you in.
    I second this. My club is a capped membership # plus sponsor required for your application but I'm fairly certain if you came to a meeting or one of the open bar nights and strike up some conversations, you'd find someone to counter-sign your app and put your name on the waiting list. Now your time on the waiting list, of course, might be long and then you'll just have to be patient. Ours also has NRA shoots, PA Hunter Safety, a Gun Bash and other "public" events that would give you opportunity to meet some members and get an app in.

(Allegheny County)

Before just joining a random club for the sake of getting into one, ask yourself exactly what you need in a club. Then review their range rules and any restrictions they may have.

Dormont/ Mt Lebo would be cool for me but they disallow ANY holster presentations. That, in itself , was enough for me to pass.

McDonald occasionally opens their membership and for those of us who used to be Greater Pitt members, would be ideal. Downside for McD is relatively high dues if you decide NOT to do at least 6 or 8 work parties per year. They do have a 600yd Rifle range,allow shooting steel, shooting on the move and holster presentations.
    Collier is a hop skip and a jump for me. I heard they were changing some of the restrictions (3 rounds rifle/6 pistol IIRC). I don't know how they are now and would like to join IF they don't have those kinds of restrictions.

Forest Grove looks to be a pretty fair small club. It has 100 yd rifle and a few pistol bays, seems reasonable but you cannot shoot steel due to the proximity of the Montour Trail.

Another decent yet small club is Coraopolis Sportsman's club. They have an indoor range, are reasonably priced but get pretty busy the few times I shot there.

Washington sportsmans club is pretty small and I think geared to shotgun. There is some kind of time frame the range closes when events are held at the fairgrounds (not positive on this--second hand info).

I don't know much about Library.

All in all, I drive 50 min from Bridgeville to shoot at PMSC, which I think is the best club in the area. I just don't get there enough for my liking due to the distance. They are the least restrictive, have more shooting areas than most other clubs, host training classes, have shotgun, archery, a steel bay, 300 yd rifle, at least a half dozen pistol bays, a great indoor range and costs &60/yr after initiation. This would be my choice.

Last edited by 27hand; May 27th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the input... Mcdonald sounds like the one for me. I see they have meetings the second tuesday of every month. Is this open to the public? how much are the dues?I like the long rifle range and it's not very far so it seems like a good fit. Anyone a member?

(Washington County)

Dormont is even closer than Mcdonald. That would be my second choice depending on their rifle range distance...

(Allegheny County)

Mcdonald is a closed membership with a long waiting list. they won't reopen membership until mid 2012 from what i've read/heard.
    Dormont is a nice club.

Pitcairn-Monroeville is a nicer Club that has somewhat Open Membership (2 Sponsors).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Mcdonald is a closed membership with a long waiting list. they won't reopen membership until mid 2012 from what i've read/heard.
    Dormont is a nice club.

Pitcairn-Monroeville is a nicer Club that has somewhat Open Membership (2 Sponsors).

Monroeville is a HAUL for me. I live in Houston, Just south of canonsburg on 79. If these meetings are open to the public I may just show up and see what happens. I know one person who may know some people in Mcdonald sportsmen still... I don't know if he's a member still or not. I really think "the waiting list" is for detering unwanted members or everybody and their mother from joining...

(Allegheny County)

I live outside of Bridgeville and I make the haul to PMSC. I like the cheap dues, and their unrestricted rules. I just hate that it's so far away.

I wouldn't mind joining Collier just as a close place for pistol practice but the last time I checked their site (about 2.5 months ago) they still showed the round restrictions in their rule book. No way I'm even thinking about joining till I see in writing that bullcrap is removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast