Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Question Blind People Owning Guns....

Ive mentioned a few times that my uncle is 100% blind and he's a gun owner.

I wanted to get some of your thoughts about the topic, because its causing some heated discussions in the family.

Whats causing the light "turmoil" is, he wants to get his LTCF.

Here's a little back story and please make sure its clear. I do NOT promote or condone breaking the law.

My family is mainly from Baltimore city, Maryland. As most of you know, Baltimore is virtually a war zone. (2nd highest murder rate in 2010)

Although my uncle has been completely blind since childhood, he worked every single day of his life. He chose NOT to go on welfare and took two buses every day to and from work and waited on bus stops in all weather conditions by himself.

Because he was blind, he didn't have many options in the workforce.
    So he didn't make much money, but was able to fully support himself.

But due to making a low wage, he had to live in a very VERY dangerous part of the city. He could tell some war stories believe me.

He was robbed on two occasions and even assaulted because of accidentally tapped a black youth with his cane. The black youth thought he was "racists" and didnt even have enough sense to figure my uncle was blind. So the boy and his friend beat my uncle up so bad, he had to go the hospital.
    That happened in 1993.
    After that incident, he asked me to help him buy something for home defense.

I took him to the local gun store and we picked out a pump action Mossberg 500 shot gun.
    The reasoning being, that since he lived a lone, anyone breaking in his house would be more likely to get hit by 10 .32 caliber "0" buckshot pellets over a single handgun bullet.

After he bought it, we went directly to my cousins property and practiced with it. He was actually pretty good with the 12 gauge. I hung a bell on the target connected by string and rang it so he knew what direction to shoot, he was on target 7 out of the 8 times.

A couple of years later, he was robbed again while walking home at night from the bus stop. They took every thing he had and even his cane. They also kicked his seeing eye dog just to be evil creatures of the night.

That event truly changed my uncle.

He then had a friend take him to the local gun shop and he bought a Makarov 9x18 pistol to carry to and from work.

Myself and my mother (his twin sister) were really unsure what to think.

We knew he was illegally carrying it (MD doesn't issue carry permits) , but we also knew that he had enough abuse and the next time it happens, those animals might end up killing him.

Thankfully, he didnt need to use his weapon after he bought it.

He is now retired and doesn't have to catch the bus anymore.
    But he and his girlfriend like to travel a lot now that he has moved to PA. His girlfriend is sighted and drives.
    He now would like to get his LTCF for when they are on the road.

My issue is this: since he is blind, unlike, his shotgun for his house. he cannot aim very well with a pistol or other "bullet" firing firearm.

So he may be putting someone else's life in danger if he does use it.
    But on the other hand, I realize that he too should be afforded the right to defend himself.

Id like to hear some input from you fine folks about it.
    Last edited by Ricochet; May 16th, 2011 at 04:59 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Default Re: Blind People Owning Guns....

There was a similar discussion in the past here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/109...ighlight=blind

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    There was a similar discussion in the past here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/109...ighlight=blind
    Thanks for the link.

I see that thread is from four years ago.
    So maybe I will be able to get some fresh thoughts on the matter.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Your uncle's mugging experiences just made me furious

What a relief for you all that he doesn't have to be in that situation anymore.

Perhaps the girlfriend can also learn to shoot, get her LTCF and carry as well.

(Fayette County)

Your uncle's mugging experiences just made me furious
    Yes, it was disgusting. Especially the fact that they even kicked his seeing eye dog in the ribs. They couldn't just take his money, but the had to torture him and the dog.
    And what makes it all even worse is, the police had the suspected thugs in custody , but my uncle couldn't visually identify them so they had to let them go.

Perhaps the girlfriend can also learn to shoot, get her LTCF and carry as well.
    Yeah thats an idea.
    But considering how independent he is, I know he wants a LTCF for himself as well.

So, it sounds, from your description, that he is totally blind?
    As compared to being "legally blind".

From the National Federation of the Blind

7. Am I really blind?

Some people use terms such as visually impaired or low vision instead of blind. However, the National Federation of the Blind uses the term blind for all people, regardless of their visual acuity, who need to use alternative techniques to accomplish the same thing that a sighted person can do using eyesight.

Individuals experiencing severe vision loss may find it helpful to learn some nonvisual ways of accomplishing everyday tasks, if they are struggling with visual methods. It is estimated that only 20 percent of blind people are totally blind. Most blind people have some remaining vision.

The legal definition of blindness is visual acuity of not greater than 20/200 in the better eye with correction or a field not subtending an angle greater than 20 degrees. In everyday language this means that a blind person sees about 10 percent of what a sighted person can see.

(Fayette County)

So, it sounds, from your description, that he is totally blind?
    As compared to being "legally blind".

From the National Federation of the Blind

7. Am I really blind?

Some people use terms such as visually impaired or low vision instead of blind. However, the National Federation of the Blind uses the term blind for all people, regardless of their visual acuity, who need to use alternative techniques to accomplish the same thing that a sighted person can do using eyesight.

Individuals experiencing severe vision loss may find it helpful to learn some nonvisual ways of accomplishing everyday tasks, if they are struggling with visual methods. It is estimated that only 20 percent of blind people are totally blind. Most blind people have some remaining vision.

The legal definition of blindness is visual acuity of not greater than 20/200 in the better eye with correction or a field not subtending an angle greater than 20 degrees. In everyday language this means that a blind person sees about 10 percent of what a sighted person can see.

Oh yes, he is totally blind.
    He went legally blind when he was in his early teens, and then in his late 20's he had to have his eye surgically removed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Thanks for the link.

There aren't any fresh thoughts. Some folks still think that the blind have the same rights as the sighted and some don't.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the link.

I used to believe that it was utter madness for the blind to be allowed to carry firearms. Given that they can't follow to basic rules of knowing whats behind your target before shooting.

I posted on that thread saying so, and was thoroughly debunked and shown just how wrong I was.

Its worth a read. Trust me.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the link.

The principals involved are the same four years ago as they are today.

Being blind does not justify infringing on their rights, and it also does not abdicate one of responsibility for their actions.

A blind person should be free to carry/use a gun, just as much as anyone else, and likewise a blind person should be held accountable for negligent or criminal applications with said gun.

Ricochet, you as a close family member are well within your rights to encourage your uncle to make good decisions. If your uncle is the kind of person that would orient the gun in the general direction of the bad guy and 'blindly' squeeze the trigger until slide lock... Well, as his nephew, you might want to discourage him from carrying. (I would discourage anyone I know, blind or not, from carrying if they are the sort to use the 'spray-n-pray' tactic.)

Nevertheless, at the end of the day your uncle will have to decide for himself which risks he wants to accept and how to negotiate them.

The other thread has all this spelled out in about fifteen million other ways.