Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting Encounter at the Canadian Border

Before I begin my story, I just want to say, no I did NOT try to bring a gun into Canada...

I spent this past weekend disarmed while I visited some friends in Buffalo, New York. On Saturday we took a ride to see Niagara Falls, and decided to go to the Canadian side since it was a nicer view. For anyone unfamiliar with crossing the border into Canada by car, you must go through what looks like toll booths, but instead of paying to cross you must stop to show your passport and answer some questions.

So we wait our turn, pull up the booth and hand over our passports to the border control agent. He's pretty casual with us, and starts with the normal questions (our citizenship, where we're from, where we're going, how long we'll be there, etc). This takes unusually long because the 4 of us in the car are all from different states, so we have to explain to the guy how we all know each other and why we're traveling together.

For the most part the guy was casual about everything and all the questions seemed normal for the trip, until he asks if any of us own any firearms. My friend that was driving answered no (not sure if he misheard the question of just forgot that I did), and then immediately realized his mistake. The border control agent seemed to instantly get all serious and then asked "are you answering on behalf of everyone in the vehicle?" so I leaned over from the passenger seat and explained to the guy that I did own a firearm.

I was expected a series of follow-up questions judging by the question and the way he asked it, but he quickly responded "of course you do, YOU'RE AMERICAN!" with a big smile on his face. As he said that he handed back our passports and then told us to go.

After we pulled away we all laughed at his response, and my friends mentioned that they have never been asked that before. We though it was weird that they asked if we owned any, but not if we had them with us, and that there were no follow-up questions about it. I'm curious as to what shows up when my passport is scanned, and if maybe that is what prompted the question. If something did show up, that would explain the way he phrased his response to my friends first answer, but I'm not sure why any information would show up during a border scan, especially since it was Canadian border control.

I might be looking into it too much, but either way the whole event was painless, and I thought his response was hilarious. I guess Canadians think all us Americans own guns (or at least 1 in 4 as was the case for our car). Their side might have a nicer view of the falls, but the smell of freedom is much nicer on our side.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Interesting Encounter at the Canadian Border

Well, did the vehicle you were in at the time have any stickers that related to firearms or shooting clubs or maybe even a NRA sticker?

If not, then thats a strange question to ask.
    I would expect him to ask if you had any firearms or other weapons in the vehicle instead of "do you own any".

Also, it is possible to legally travel into Canada with firearms.

You just need to get the proper paperwork done well before you cross the border into Canada.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

is it any of his business to know if you own a firearm? I wouldn't think so.
    FJB

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    [SIZE="1"]For the most part the guy was casual about everything and all the questions seemed normal for the trip, until he asks if any of us own any firearms.
    My response: "Whattaya need?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Well, did the vehicle you were in at the time have any stickers that related to firearms or shooting clubs or maybe even a NRA sticker?

If not, then thats a strange question to ask.
    I would expect him to ask if you had any firearms or other weapons in the vehicle instead of "do you own any".

You just need to get the proper paperwork done well before you cross the border into Canada.
    No stickers on the car, and it was my friends car anyway so he definitely wouldn't have any. I think that the question of whether we owned rather than had any in the vehicle is what made my friend answer incorrectly in the first place. It seems like a weird question to ask, especially without the any follow-up.
    And yes I know there are legal ways to take them into Canada. They even had it posted at the border about how to properly declare them.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    is it any of his business to know if you own a firearm? I wouldn't think so.
    I thought it was weird to ask, especially since he didn't ask if we had any weapons with us. I wasn't sure if it was a common question or not at the time, but I wasn't going to lie to the border patrol either way. The way he asked made it seem like he already knew the answer and trying to see if we'd tell the truth, but I can't imagine how he would know in the first place.

Is it a crime to tell a border agent to go fuck themselves?
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Is it a crime to tell a border agent to go fuck themselves?
    my laugh for the day
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Interesting Encounter at the Canadian Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

That's true coming FROM there as well.

When .223 ammo was outta sight here in '07-'08, I had started an inquiry about buying some just across the border from Buffalo, and bringing it BACK to America (it was still $299/1,000 of M193 over there!!!). It never went beyond a preliminary request with Canadian authorities, because I decided I REALLY didn't want to make myself a BIGGER blip on the gummint radar than I already am.

Same reason I've never pursued owning any Class III/NFA gear, either.

Had the exact same experience two summers ago crossing the bridge in Niagra NY into Canada to view the falls. It was me and my then 13 year old son. I left my pistol in PA because I am well versed in the law. I also had a signed notarized consent to take my son out of the country from my wife!! Long story short, they asked about my son's mother and where she was. I told the agent (also your car is on an incline so the Canadian officer can see into your car) my son and I were just visiting and provided him with the form. He thanked me for that. After that, the weapons questions. He asked if I had any weapons, I said yes a pocket knife. He wanted to see it and I showed him. He then asked if I owned firearms. I said Yes without hesitation. He asked where they were. I said Pennsylvania. He continued to probe and asked where in the car, I said my firearms are back in PA. He said ok and to have a nice visit. This is all after taking our Passports and going through the basic questioning like the original poster mentioned.

I guess they don't have to let you into their country if you can not or will not answer their questions or try to mislead them.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

I had an almost identical experience crossing at the falls back in 2005. The guard asked me if I brought any guns, to which I replied "no". Then he said, "Do you ownnn any guns?"

"Well yeah, I'm an American! I own lots of guns! But I didn't bring any with me."

All right, go ahead. he wasn't the friendliest sort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast