Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Campus security booted and local PD had a car towed for a weapon in "plain sight" WTF

So I'm bored between classes and reading my private universities security report when I see this:

April 4th
    Officer observed a weapon in plain sight inside parked car. Vehicle booted and local township police notified. Local police had the vehicle towed for investigation.

Supposing this was a LTCF holder who simply failed to properly conceal his firearm on the floor when he was going to class is he legally at fault? I realize he's a moron for not hiding it better, but did the PD have a right to tow the car?

If the student was responsible enough to observe school policy and not carry on school grounds what other option does he have? Does he have a legal course of action against either the university for invasion of privacy or the pd for wrongful impoundment?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zet70; April 13th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Campus security booted and local PD had a car towed for a weapon in "plain sight"

Sound like the car was on campus since the security company called the police.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Campus security booted and local PD had a car towed for a weapon in "plain sight"

Car on college campus... college campus no firearms policy...

I see nothing wrong here.

If it was parked off college grounds... that's an issue

(Lancaster County)

Did they verify it was a real weapon before they towed the car? Maybe it wasn't.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Did they verify it was a real weapon before they towed the car? Maybe it wasn't.
    We live in a world where simply saying the word "gun" or "bomb" is enough

(Allegheny County)

leaving a weapon visible and unattended in a car is really the same as leaving it on the roof or hood of the car. almost as bad as leaving it on the sidewalk. car windows are no deterrent to theft!
    MORDENTE MEUM

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Car on college campus... college campus no firearms policy...

I see nothing wrong here.

If it was parked off college grounds... that's an issue
    Campus police have Pennsylvania police powers, meaning that they are both entitled to do things that cops can do, and that they are constrained from doing things that cops can't do. They can't blur the lines, and enforce private campus "rules" using powers granted through the Commonwealth.

Booting a car, seizing it, and towing it away is NOT justified by suspected violations of the private campus rules. That would be like a movie theater having you arrested for bringing in your own pack of Twizzlers.

On or off campus, if the owner had an LTCF then he's inarguably legally entitled to transport or store his firearm in his vehicle. In fact, there's an argument that stashing a gun in a parked car doesn't require an LTCF, since it's not going anywhere. The prohibition is on any unlicensed "person who carries a firearm in any vehicle". If it's not on you, and the vehicle isn't going anywhere, then what have you done to violate the statute, with or without an LTCF? And what probable cause do the cops have to seize and tow your car, then search it?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

it was probably a good thing the car was towed by the cops which probably prevented the weapon from being stolen if some thief came along and noticed it. anybody stupid enough to leave a firearm in plain view in a unattended vehicle deserves to have their car towed and in my opinion proven they are too irresponsible to own firearms.

(Berks County)

Does it make a difference that we don't actually have campus Police. They have SECURITY on their uniforms and on all vehicles. They don't carry mace, tazers, or anything but a radio.

It's a private Christian University who prides itself on privacy invasion. It also happens to be a dry campus. I think I may place a sixer on the passenger seat in plain view just to see it they hassle me. To see if they're actually just snooping around.

I'm guessing it is a firearm. I mean, would they call the local PD for mace or a knife? Doubtful.

I'll ask around tomorrow just to see what I can find out.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    On or off campus, if the owner had an LTCF then he's inarguably legally entitled to transport or store his firearm in his vehicle.
    I'm confused about this statement. Are you saying that I can legally store a firearm in my vehicle and park my vehicle on private property where the property owner does not allow firearms? I would love to believe this is true, but I am certainly under that impression that it is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast