Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Need some advice on 9MM purchase

Gander Mountain near me has a S&W sigma series 9mm with 2 16 round mags for $279.00. (this is less than I paid for one of my KelTec chrome .380s and seems too good to be true)

gander mountain add is in the upper right corner.

Braverman Arms is selling the new Ruger SR9 17 shot 9mm for a little over $400.00. (I am a big fan of Rugers, I own 2, but would rather not spend the extra $130.00)

I am almost ready to go get the S&W this weekend but though I would see what you guys think.

I don't have a lot of money to burn so a more expensive pistol is not an option. I already have several revolvers so I do not want another revolver. I want a 9mm because the ammo seems pretty reasonable and it fills in a gap in my collection. (between my .380s and .357s)

So, any input would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Tokamak; February 26th, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: put in hyper link

(Centre County)

Default Re: Need some advice on 9MM purchase

Buy one that fits your hand the best. I know you don't want to spend too much, but buy cheaper gun that fon't fits your hand good is gonna ultimatly cost you more(Hate the gun, trade it towrds one that fits, take beating on trade), then buy one that fits your hand better but its little more expensive IMO

With that being said, I'd go with Ruger(eventho,i'm more of S&W guy, SR9 do fits my hand far better then Sigma ever did)
    Last edited by Mity2; February 26th, 2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lawrence County)

I've shot both and like the SR9 a little better. Slim grip and a slightly better trigger.

Lycanlikedtherugerthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lackawanna County)

I agree with Mity, on all points actually. The SR9 is a sharp looking pistol.

(Chester County)

Keep in mind that the $279 is the price AFTER the $50 mail in rebate. You're gonna have to plunk down $329 plus tax.

That price is a bit higher than I see the Sigma's for around here in SEPA. About $20 to $30 higher.

I'd call around to other stores. It's a factory mail in rebate. It doesn't matter where you buy it as long as it is a new gun you purchase.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    Gander Mountain near me has a S&W sigma series 9mm with 2 16 round mags for $279.00. (this is less than I paid for one of my KelTec chrome .380s and seems too good to be true)

gander mountain add is in the upper right corner.

Braverman Arms is selling the new Ruger SR9 17 shot 9mm for a little over $400.00. (I am a big fan of Rugers, I own 2, but would rather not spend the extra $130.00)

I am almost ready to go get the S&W this weekend but though I would see what you guys think.

I don't have a lot of money to burn so a more expensive pistol is not an option. I already have several revolvers so I do not want another revolver. I want a 9mm because the ammo seems pretty reasonable and it fills in a gap in my collection. (between my .380s and .357s)

So, any input would be welcomed.

I have nothing bad to say about the Sigma. I have shot Frenchy's and it is a pretty sweet shooter. I have never shot the Ruger, but hear alot of good things about them from guys I respect.

I do have a lot to say about Braverman's and none of it is good. Buy the gun you want online
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=93437293

and have it shipped to GRoPA's
    www.gunrunnersofPA.com

You'll be ahead on money and get to buy a new gun from the convenience of your computer. You will also get to avoid working with the assholes at Bravermans.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Chester County)

Get the Ruger.

I've personally seen too many bad experiences with the Sigma at the range (I know there are bunch of good ones out there). And I've heard too many bad stories, too. The Ruger, thus far, is above reproach.

My favorite Sigma experience involved watching a local officer damn near break down in tears on the range because his Sigma still wouldn't work after two trips back to the factory and his Chief wouldn't let him carry anything but a Sigma.

Sure, I felt bad for the guy, but watching a 20-something guy in full gear look at me, get all sniveling, and say (in response to my suggestion) "Bbbbbut my Chief won't let me carry a Glock, so what good does it do me to buy one?" makes me giggle.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lawrence County)

I would also suggest the Ruger SR9, but then again, I'm partial to Rugers... lol

ChazP95man321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

Also, since you said you have revolvers, you can take your cylinder from a .38 Spl. or .357 mag, and get the cylinder cut for moon clips. 9mm will shoot the same out of them, and the ammo is cheaper than the revolver ammo...

Chazjustanotheroptionman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

off topic...Chaz...thats the first time something ive said is in someone's sig line.

Thats great.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast