Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Airline Travel Question

I am flying out to utah tomorrow night for a ski trip.

i have the following handgun case which says it meets TSA specifications
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...772&hasJS=true

now can i put this in my large check baggage and just declare it at the counter?

Thanks for the input guys!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Airline Travel Question

You will also need a case for your ammo as that cannot be stored with the pistol. You will need to open the case and show the firearm is indeed unloaded. the carrier might have some other requirements it is best to ask them before going to the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    I am flying out to utah tomorrow night for a ski trip.

i have the following handgun case which says it meets TSA specifications
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...772&hasJS=true

now can i put this in my large check baggage and just declare it at the counter?

Thanks for the input guys!
    USNRET '61-'81

(Cambria County)

reading the TSA site i was under the impression that the ammo could be stored in the same case as the handgun as long as it was in the factory box and not in the magazines

edit: re-reading the tsa site it seems that the ammo can just go in your checked luggage as long as it is in it's factory box
    Last edited by Caspian; March 5th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

(Jefferson County)

The luggage will work for the ammo. Factory boxes or similar to prevent them from getting loose.

I think once the firearm has been declared and inspected, you can put that case within the checked luggage. ...I think.

(Allegheny County)

When I've flown, Delta has let me pack my pistol and loaded mags in the same locked case, which is secured inside my luggage.

Their only requirement be that the ammunition not be "loose" unless it's in a factory box where it came that way (.22lr for example)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    You will also need a case for your ammo as that cannot be stored with the pistol.
    No he doesn't, as the others have said, it can be in the same case.

Actually, it can vary from airline to airline. I am going to be on US Airlines in a little while, and I was told (as I was told by AirTran before) that the ammo must be in its factory box and in a separate bag from the firearm. If in doubt, call the TSA and get a ruling from them. The first person I spoke to from AirTran told me she thought I should keep my gun with me so nothing would happen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Actually, it can vary from airline to airline. I am going to be on US Airlines in a little while, and I was told (as I was told by AirTran before) that the ammo must be in its factory box and in a separate bag from the firearm. If in doubt, call the TSA and get a ruling from them. The first person I spoke to from AirTran told me she thought I should keep my gun with me so nothing would happen to it!
    And that totally contradicts US Airways written policy and the TSA rules:

Special Items
    Firearms

US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.

* Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
    * A passenger who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare and demonstrate that the weapon is unloaded.
    * Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
    * Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
    * A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
    * Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required.
    * There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
    * A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international import requirements have not been met.

And TSA rules:

TSA

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

* You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    * The firearm must be unloaded.
    * The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    * The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    * We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    * You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    * You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    * You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

* You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

I've flown quite a bit and checked a firearm quite a bit and always had the ammo in the same container (on different airlines). Its much nicer and easier to just fly armed though...

Well she may have gotten it wrong, or I may have misunderstood her. They aren't always right. Neither am I, hard as that may be to believe. See the end of my previous post for the accuracy of customer service people.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Well she may have gotten it wrong, or I may have misunderstood her. They aren't always right. Neither am I, hard as that may be to believe. See the end of my previous post for the accuracy of customer service people.
    Yea I think I only got one person who actually knew the TSA policy on firearms and that was SW Airlines.

Hopefully no one listens to that person from airtran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast