Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New 1911 & range report

Charles Daly Stainless Steel, 5" 1911

Stopped by the Jim Heverling's gun shop in Campbelltown Saturday and he had a "used" in name only as it had been his display model and never was fired. Charles Daly Stainless Steel .45 acp. Had a few scratches and marks were it's been fondled by people looking at them. Basically just astetic stuff that I can work with and get to looking great. Well it was either that one or a "UGLY" SS frame, blue slide version. Got the SS one at a really great price.... $420 w/ one magazine

Tonight I went to the range, Palmyra Sportsman's, after cleaning and inspection at home. We have a nice indoor one here. Gladly worth the $65.00 a year for membership. Loaded the three magazines, (bought 2 extra) the Magazine that came with the gun would only load 7, took it apart and checked everything and the spring looks okay. But very hard to get the 8th round in. No problem with the other two magazines (identical, same mfg.) Started shooting, had one fail to feed with the stiff magazine on the last round. Guess I'll get a new spring and see what happens with it. Reloaded it with only 7 rounds and it worked flawlessly, the other two magazines worked fine with 8. After about 120 rounds or so as I was getting ready to shoot the next three magazines I noticed the rear sight had come loose. Got a allen wrench for the set screw but it was frozen tight and couldn't loosen or tighten.

Called it a night, went home and will have it worked on tomorrow by Jim, I know he'll take of it. Other than it shooting a bit low, about a foot at 15 yards, but it could be me since I haven't shot a 1911 in a while and the grip angle is a bit different than my Ruger P345. Overall, I'm pretty pleased about how the gun ran, one fail to feed out of all I shot and I'm pretty sure it's a magazine issue. So tomorrow get the sight fixed and re-centered, maybe upgrade to some Heinie straight 8's and a new magazine spring for the one magazine. I think it's a keeper

Picture is a google one, haven't had time to take any
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tdyoung58; February 23rd, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Blair County)

Default Re: New 1911 & range report

Good post Sir!

Wish there was an indoor range around here.

I'm proud of you for taking the gun home and cleaning it BEFORE shooting it. I too am of the old school who cleans any firearm before shooting it for the first time.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Gunshp had to drill out the set screw for the sight, was stuck fast for some reason, heat wouldn't even loosen it. Fixed it and took a little off the front sight as it was shooting a bit low. Magazine problem was a easy fix. after checking it the spring wasn't under the keeper on the follower... Duh.

now I just gotta get back out this weekend and shoot it some more and see where we're at sight wise.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Good post Sir!

Wish there was an indoor range around here.

I'm proud of you for taking the gun home and cleaning it BEFORE shooting it. I too am of the old school who cleans any firearm before shooting it for the first time.
    I was always told to clean them first time......
    I just thought that was what was recommended by the mgf.
    I shot a friends S&W that was cleaned prior to shooting the first time and that didnt work out to well.