Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Smart to sell at Cabelas?

When it comes to wanting to sell a handgun (non private sale), is it smart to deal at Cabelas? I've heard they pay top dollar. Is this true? Looking to sell my Glock 23 gen 4.

Default Re: Smart to sell at Cabelas?

Maybe but doubtful. Selling a gun is like selling a used car. The dealer is never going to give you what you want. Private sales are always better.

Businesses have overhead to contend with. In fact, there is a classified ad section on this very website and you can list your gun with pics, price, where to meet for transfer, who pays transfer fee etc...You'd get a better price and meet a member from here.

Best of luck,

CL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Maybe but doubtful. Selling a gun is like selling a used car. The dealer is never going to give you what you want. Private sales are always better.

Businesses have overhead to contend with. In fact, there is a classified ad section on this very website and you can list your gun with pics, price, where to meet for transfer, who pays transfer fee etc...You'd get a better price and meet a member from here.

Best of luck,

CL

The OP did say "non-private sale" so its my guess that he has already decided he doesn't feel like/has time to sell it on his own. Sometimes I am actually surprised at the offers I have received from my LGS.

As to where you will get the most money- only real way to know is at least take the time to shop it around to 2-3 stores close to you. Calling won't be very helpful as they will always want to see it to verify condition rather than committing to a price sight-unseen.

(Lancaster County)

The OP did list it, but then quickly closed the ad...........http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/23...e-holster.html

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    When it comes to wanting to sell a handgun (non private sale), is it smart to deal at Cabelas? I've heard they pay top dollar. Is this true? Looking to sell my Glock 23 gen 4.
    Dealers give 1/4 to 3/4 the value of the gun because they have to resell it.

You will get more, closer to the present value, buy selling it to a private individual.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

If you can prove you bought the gun from cabelas they pay more....a rumor I heard.
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln

(Lancaster County)

Rush2112, I would strongly suggest that you make going to Cabela's your last option.

Your last, hopeless, no-other-possibility-to-sell-my-gun-exists-whatsoever option.

Some years ago I took a pistol of mine there to see what they'd offer. My game plan was to sell outright or trade my gun in on something new from them.

The entire process from start to finish was tedious, lengthy and slightly insulting. The offer they made me was laughable. Except that it wasn't funny.

You're up in Kutztown? Take a ride over to Handgunner in Topton and talk to Randy, see what he'll give you. It'll be more that you'll get at Cabela's, guaranteed.
    Last edited by johnfritz; October 26th, 2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typo.
    Johnnie F.

I got a really bad offer at Cabela's for a Glock 19C in near-mint condition last year. Went to a local shop the following week and did considerably better. Seeing the activity here, I think I would have done better selling to a member here, which is exactly what I'm trying for this year's safe cleanout. Too bad you're not interested in selling that Glock 23 privately.. exactly the thing I'm looking for.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't want to sell privately, as I would much rather do that especially after reading the responses here. I was just curious about selling to Cabelas is all.

I've been to the Handgunner several times, have bought a few guns there in the past. Randy and his staff are top notch, and I would definitely go there before Cabelas if it came to that.

And fortysix, check your PM's.

Last purchase I made at Cabelas was a three+ hour ordeal for a transfer. I won't ever try that on a Saturday morning again. If you do it, go late on a weekday evening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast