Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Taurus 617 and Laserlyte

I mounted a Laserlyte sight on my Taurus 617 some time ago, and finally got a chance to sight it in properly. Since there's no indoor range available to me within 50 miles, I had to wait for a time near sundown to see how it would do.
    Here's the gun with the laser unit mounted:

Fuggedabout trying to use it in sunshine, much less overcast days, as it's just not bright enough to see in normal daylight, but in an indoor scenario, it's the cat's a$$ for pinpointing a target. In fact, you can accurately shoot it from the hip, ala Hollywood.

The target below illustrates how well it performed.

Ammunition used was Speer's 125 grain Gold Dots used as carry ammo.
    The area circled and numbered #1 was the first cylinder-full I shot - all from a distance of 7 yards - a couple of inches low.
    Area #2 is the result of adjusting the beam in the wrong direction - 3 more inches low.
    Area #3 is not on the paper, as I turned the adjuster much too far the other way. I only shot three rounds, and all went over the target.
    Area #4 is where I said "Good enough" (Good enough IS good enough. Anything else is too expensive and a PITA).
    It started getting too dark to safely shoot anymore, and the #4 group is just fine with me.

I cleaned the gun and returned to the Shootin' Hole last night to be sure the setting stayed, which it did, then tweaked the beam a shade to the right to satisfy my OCD side. When I got home, I dropped a smidgen of blue Loctite onto the adjuster screw threads with a toothpick and we're good to go.
    Last edited by Zeeba; October 4th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.