Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Slain student called 911, but no one came in time

Slain student called 911, but no one came in time

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say.

But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead. Her fiance found her body.

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

Spring was in the air when college student Zimmerman returned April 2 from classes at the University of Wisconsin to the off-campus apartment she shared with her fiance, Jordan Gonnering.

He was out when she arrived home. He discovered her body when he returned.

Zimmerman had been stabbed multiple times in her chest, near her heart. She'd also been beaten and strangled, according to warrants released recently.

Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there.

Dane County has taken some harsh criticism from the public regarding the delay, and tough questions have been raised about whether a prompt response might have saved Zimmerman's life.

Police are still looking for her killer.

"We are working diligently on this case, have generated significant leads, and are making progress," said Joel De Spain of the Madison Police Department.

The police said they believe Zimmerman was attacked by a stranger. Her apartment door showed signs of forced entry.

After interviews with Zimmerman's family, friends and acquaintances, investigators determined there was no personal motive for the attack.

"In fact, we have not been able to determine any motive yet in this case," De Spain said. He emphasized that police have no reason to believe Zimmerman was the victim of a serial killer.

During the investigation, police have tracked leads pointing to vagrants in Zimmerman's off-campus neighborhood. The vagrants often would knock on doors and beg for money.

"We are still investigating this avenue, but at this time we have not been able to develop any specific suspects," De Spain said.

Zimmerman's family and friends describe her as a loving, warm young woman, who had much to look forward to. She was engaged to the love of her life and had dreams of earning a medical degree, they said. She was idealistic, and her goal was to help people, not to earn a large salary, they said.

Other details in the released warrants reveal that Zimmerman was murdered in her bedroom, that her cell phone was found in "parts," and that her bloody slippers and bloody computer paper were recovered.

The murder weapon is described as a knife, two to five inches long. Police are not saying whether they have recovered it.

DNA was collected from Zimmerman's body, as well as hair, blood samples, footprints and fingerprints. So far, no match has been made to a suspect.

Zimmerman's family is offering a $14,000 reward, and Crime Stoppers is offering $1,000 for tips leading to the arrest and/or conviction of anyone responsible for Zimmerman's death. Please call the tip line at
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Slain student called 911, but no one came in time

If I call up crime stoppers and say that NYC is responsible for her death due to their negligent laws, could I get the $1000? I'd like to get a Mossberg 590.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    If I call up crime stoppers and say that NYC is responsible for her death due to their negligent laws, could I get the $1000? I'd like to get a Mossberg 590.
    Maybe if she was in NYC you could, but from my understanding she was in WI since she attended the University of Wisconsin.

For $1000 you could almost pick up a used Mossy and an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Maybe if she was in NYC you could, but from my understanding she was in WI since she attended the University of Wisconsin.

For $1000 you could almost pick up a used Mossy and an AK.
    Its worth a call.
    Last edited by Lazylaser; December 16th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Dauphin County)

Truly a sad story. Sounded like she didnt even have a chance. She might not had a chance if she was armed but they would of been better chances in her favor.

Obviously the attacker is a convicted felon who follows the laws. He used a knife to stab, objects to beat and stangle. Of course, he might have used his hands to beat and strangle but the point is, he used a knife like a good convicted felon, no firearm. In fact, I bet they had signs posted "NO GUN ZONE" and therefore, the attacker let it in his car, home, or kept it on his person and didn't display or use it.

(Berks County)

Wait........so the police can't be everywhere at once?

Somebody better call the Brady bunch!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Obviously the attacker is a convicted felon who follows the laws. He used a knife to stab, objects to beat and stangle. Of course, he might have used his hands to beat and strangle but the point is, he used a knife like a good convicted felon, no firearm. In fact, I bet they had signs posted "NO GUN ZONE" and therefore, the attacker let it in his car, home, or kept it on his person and didn't display or use it.
    MORE IMPORTANTLY the VICTIM was unarmed...just the way organizations like the Brady campaign would like them to be. They won't tell you that but that's what it boils down to. I mean, she'd have just shot herself anyway, don't you know? Or somehow miraculously shot a neighbor who never came to her aid...

Seriously, this is a heartbreaking story. I can't imagine what her family must be going through or what it must have been like for her fiance to come home to find her like that. My first instinct is to say I hope the 911 dispatcher got fired but I haven't heard the tape....only read what the press is reporting. We'll probably never really know the truth one way or the other. May that poor girl rest in peace.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Even if she was in WI as another poster mentioned I think your plan would still work since they are one of only 2 states that will not allow concealed carry. If you get the reward maybe the family can sue the state for a few million and finally get their laws changed.

I'm no expert on WI politics but the way I understand it is that CC laws had passed twice but were vetoed both times by the governor.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    MORE IMPORTANTLY the VICTIM was unarmed...just the way organizations like the Brady campaign would like them to be. They won't tell you that but that's what it boils down to. I mean, she'd have just shot herself anyway, don't you know? Or somehow miraculously shot a neighbor who never came to her aid...

Seriously, this is a heartbreaking story. I can't imagine what her family must be going through or what it must have been like for her fiance to come home to find her like that. My first instinct is to say I hope the 911 dispatcher got fired but I haven't heard the tape....only read what the press is reporting. We'll probably never really know the truth one way or the other. May that poor girl rest in peace.
    My son recently called 911 while he was with my FIL. My son is 9 months old and loves to play with the phone. My FIL didn't even know he had dialed 911 until a police officer showed up due to an "abandoned 911 call." I can't see how they didn't send a car over to check it out. It couldn't have taken more than 15 minutes from the time my son called and the police showed up. My wife was still not to work after dropping him off and she is only 20 minutes away.

The problem with her being armed is I don't think it would have mattered. It sounds from the article as though the fucker got the drop on her. It would have given her a bit more of a chance, but just being armed is not some magic shield of protection.

I found it strange that they made the comment that this was not the act of a serial killer. WTF is that about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast