Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AK vs SKS vs M1 Carbine vs 9mm carbine

Ok, one of the things we are considering for our next purchase is an "assault rifle," (I can't think of a better term to describe the things) such as an AK or SKS, or a carbine such as the M1 or something like the Keltec Sub2000 9mm or Hi-point.

Cathy has fired a Hi-point 9mm carbine and the Keltec in .40 S&W and is smitten with the concept. Not to mention deadly accurate. She also thinks the idea of an AK-47 or SKS is fun. I happen to agree. Seeking input on all the above. I owned an SKS long ago, paid something like $100 for it, and was surprised by the accuracy. I do kind of like the idea of the extra power of the 7.62x39, the relative cheapness of firing the 9mm, and the pure fun of the M1, though I'm wondering if it's affordable to buy. Just starting to research that last.

Purpose is purely fun and games at the range (and zombies, can't forget the zombies!) Looking for a light kicking gun, accurate enough at 100 yds to have fun with (4"-6" at 100 yards is adequate, though tighter groups would be better), reliable, durable, and simple to use and maintain. Looks are not important. In fact, the uglier, eviler black gunier it looks, the better. Range ninja type stuff

Here's the bitch: Don't want to spend more than $400, $300 or less is MUCH preferred.

What do ya'll think of the choices? Recomendations?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(York County)

Default Re: AK vs SKS vs M1 Carbine vs 9mm carbine

I think the cheapest would be an SKS. You can get an "excellent" condition Yugo SKS from Centerfiresystems for $199. It has a wood stock but meets the "ugly, evil" requirements because it comes with the bayonet and a grenade launcher attached.

For $50, you can get a black folding stock to complete the look you are looking for and definitely have a fun rifle capable of your accuracy requirements.

this stock

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post

Here's the bitch: Don't want to spend more than $400, $300 or less is MUCH preferred.

What do ya'll think of the choices? Recomendations?

in that range, an M1 carbine is flat out.
    $500 is the bottom of what you'll see for them, if you get lucky. $600 and up is the going range.
    they're cool and i like them, but for what they're going for, it's not worth it.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Unless you REALLY need to save money, of the two 9mm carbines you have listed... go with the Sub 2000. Trust me. I had a Hi-Point. While it's a good value, it pales in comparison to the Kel-Tec.

As for AK vs SKS... Tough call. I have a Yugo SKS, and really like it. They go for $199 in really good condition.(Dunham's just had them on sale)

For a bit more, you can get an AK that gives you high cap magazines. I do not recommend screwing with an SKS to make it "like an AK". If you want an AK, get one from the start. Leave the SKS as it was intended. It works best that way.
    One thing I've noticed is that the price of the SKS has increased steadily as supply dries up. Something to consider. I got mine 2 years ago for $119.00 and the same rifle now goes for $199.00

Good luck with your decision!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Just as everyone else has said, with these 2 points;

The M1 carbine while great fun, have become way overpriced, and they're expensive to shoot.

Try strongly to consider choosing a rifle that will almost certainly be banned/attempted to be banned soon - the AK for sure, or the SKS.
    Any of the USA made rifles will be a safer bet to survive the Dems, and so will still be available after the Obamanoids ban the AK.

(Northumberland County)

YES!
    Finally a thread I am qualified to answer!
    Owning one of ALL of these guns listed... here is my take on your topic.
    Get the Sub 2000. For the monetary limitations you listed, its a great gun. THere are accessories out there for it too - rail mount for the front to moung a light, stock extender, spare mag holder. Great thing is, it folds in half too. Plus, the one I have takes Glock 17 mags (9mm) which is the least expensive to shoot out of all the guns you listed. I grabbed my Sub 2K at the Harrisburg Gun Show for 300 bucks a few years ago. I dont think they came up much at all since then.
    The AK, M1 carbine and SKS are great guns, dont get me wrong. But, the way you are talking, get the Sub 2000. Easy to maintain, accurate, fun!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Just as everyone else has said, with these 2 points;

The M1 carbine while great fun, have become way overpriced, and they're expensive to shoot.

Try strongly to consider choosing a rifle that will almost certainly be banned/attempted to be banned soon - the AK for sure, or the SKS.
    Any of the USA made rifles will be a safer bet to survive the Dems, and so will still be available after the Obamanoids ban the AK.
    No doubt about the M1!!! I was shocked when I went looking to see what they cost after I posted. The others we've been thinking about and researching, the M1 Carbine I just threw in because I thought it would be a lot of fun. They sure are awfully expensive for what they are. But, I can buy a brand new on for only $800, about the same price as I've seen some AR types for in the stores.

(Pike County)

How about one of each. Eventually. The Hi Points are fun, but crude. There are also no hi caps for them.
    As you pointed out the m-1 carbines have gone out of the price range. SKS's are ok, but from what I have seen when people start messing with them they can end up with the reliability being compromised. I used to have 2, but replaced them with other rifles.
    AK's are fun, and a great weapon. Also the top end of you price range.
    When looking for a small, light carbine that could be used by an experiance female shooter who doesn't like recoil I ended up with a Sub2000. The one I have is for 9mm S&W mags. Great little gun, and being a 4lb. 9mm the recoil is zero. Add a 15 to 30 rd. mag and it's all set for the range or for home defense. I paid $289 for the sub (new) about 2 1/2 years ago.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    But, I can buy a brand new on for only $800, about the same price as I've seen some AR types for in the stores.
    the auto ordnance gun that you reffer to is quite questionable in the quality department.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    the auto ordnance gun that you reffer to is quite questionable in the quality department.
    Nice, for only $800 I can buy a rifle of marginal quality firing a marginal round LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast