Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Is OC'ing Legal?

This weekend was interesting because I am waiting for my carry permit and I am still trying to find out if open carry is really legal. I asked an off duty police officer and he said no, even with the permit you still have to conceal your gun. Then I went to Delaware County Sherrif's office and the deputy also said no. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I dont want to get my permit taken away from me.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Is OC'ing Legal?

open carry in PA is completely legal WITHOUT A LICENSE, so long as you stay outside of vehicles and Philadelphia. With a license, you can open carry in any vehicle as well as in Philadelphia.

The off-duty police officer and Sheriff's deputy you spoke with obviously don't know the law.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Having your License To Carry Firearms taken has little to do with legalities.
    (You'll see, if you decide to stick around a bit)

Yes, it's legal. The only place that "restricts" OC is Philly, as you DO need a LTCF even to OC there.

Someone will come along shortly and post the legal mumbo-jumbo... I'm tired and my bed is calling.

Welcome to the forum!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

The next time they tell you it's illegal hit them with "citation of the law please". (Of course say it nicely) I would just LOVE to hear what they come back with. It's not illegal. Some people just don't like it so they tell you it's not legal or they don't know the law so again they tell you it's not legal.

Yea its legal and i'll be the first to admit it: WE SADLY DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING...

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    This weekend was interesting because I am waiting for my carry permit and I am still trying to find out if open carry is really legal. I asked an off duty police officer and he said no, even with the permit you still have to conceal your gun. Then I went to Delaware County Sherrif's office and the deputy also said no. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I dont want to get my permit taken away from me.

Print out this Handy flyer about carry. Once you read it, print out a couple more and give them to the people you spoke to.

Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer about carry

DC

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Damage control View Post
    Print out this Handy flyer about carry. Once you read it, print out a couple more and give them to the people you spoke to.

Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer about carry

DC
    END OF THREAD.

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Of course it is legal to open carry on foot in PA without any license at age 18 and up - just like it is in most states, see http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html.

But stop asking police for legal opinions, especially about gun laws. Let's assume that every police officer knows gun laws - why on earlth would any police officer in his right mind tell you: "Sure, go ahead, open carry all you want, no license is required." Such statements would only get him in trouble and maybe fired, especially if you run off and show up at a PTA meeting twirling your gun on your finger and say when arrested, "Well gee, Officer Friendly siad this was lega;!" Think about the economic and social incentives faced by police officers.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Of course it is legal to open carry on foot in PA without any license at age 18 and up - just like it is in most states, see http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html.

But stop asking police for legal opinions, especially about gun laws. Let's assume that every police officer knows gun laws - why on earlth would any police officer in his right mind tell you: "Sure, go ahead, open carry all you want, no license is required." Such statements would only get him in trouble and maybe fired, especially if you run off and show up at a PTA meeting twirling your gun on your finger and say when arrested, "Well gee, Officer Friendly siad this was lega;!" Think about the economic and social incentives faced by police officers.
    Interesting. So it's ok for an officer to blatantly lie to a citizen about the law? That doesn't sound quite right . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Interesting. So it's ok for an officer to blatantly lie to a citizen about the law? That doesn't sound quite right . . .
    Depends upon the department. Some departments don't tolerate that kind of thing. For others, lying is policy from top to bottom. Luck of the draw, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast