Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 92FS guiderods?

(Franklin County)

Question 92FS guiderods?

I am such a klutz. I cleaned my Beretta 92FS this weekend, only to let go of the slide before I had returned the takedown lever to the proper position. As a result, the slide went forward and parts went everywhere. I was able to recover everything except for the recoil spring guide roil. I cannot for the life of me say where it went. It's totally MIA.

Anywho, I need to get a new one and was shopping around. I've seen a few steel replacements for the factory plastic rod provided by Beretta, but I've also see a few fancy-pants dual-recoil spring/guide rod assemblies that supposedly cut reduce wear, reduce recoil, increase accuracy and reliability, include the kitchen sink, etc, etc. Are they worth it? Do they really help? Just for the record my 92FS has been absolutely 100% flawless since day one. Am I asking for trouble? Also are there any pros/cons to the plastic version of the standard guide rod vs. metal?

Default Re: 92FS guiderods?

They used to all come with metal rods. Of course, they used to also come with metal triggers and safety levers.

Guide rods are a very low stress part. The only real advantage of a steel rod is that it adds a tad bit of weight up front. You'll probably not notice. Personally, I'd say get a factory replacement part... steel or plastic... or a steel rod that is made to the exact same specs. The fancy rods might do a little of what they claim, but I'd pass on a defensive gun. If this is a range toy only and you have some money burning a hole in your pocket... then go for it... but still buy a plain jane model for when the high dollar one doesn't work.