Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Can retired NYPD cop get non-res LTCF

Have a friend that I was in the Navy with. He's a retired from the NYC PD and is currently living in NJ. He'd like to be able to carry concealed in PA when he visits occasionally.

Since he doesn't have a carry permit in NJ, I don't think he can get a "normal" non-resident LTCF. Is there some way as a retired LEO he can carry concealed in PA?

(York County)

Default Re: Can retired NYPD cop get non-res LTCF

I though retired and active LEOs were able to carry anywhere under some federal law. Someone that knows more than I do should be along soon. I'm curious about that too.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Lancaster County)

I think you are referring to LEOSA. you can find out more at the link posted below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act

(Allegheny County)

you are correct in that he will not be able to get a non-resident PA LTCF (which is BS, imho, but it is what it is).

however, as mentioned above, he could carry under LEOSA if he does what is required under that law.

another (possibly easier) option is to get a UT or FL non-resident permit. PA honors both of those and neither of them require you to have a permit from your home state to get one.

(Philadelphia County)

He doesn't need one. All he needs is his retired NYPD ID card and proof of qualification within the last 12 months. The qualification must be to the same standards that active duty cops must meet within the state he lives in. Generally, that means he needs to find a police agency to qualify at.

It's not as hard as it sounds. The best part is he'll be able to carry in places, such as DC/NJ/CA, where carry permits/LTCFs aren't honored.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    He doesn't need one. All he needs is his retired NYPD ID card and proof of qualification within the last 12 months. The qualification must be to the same standards that active duty cops must meet within the state he lives in. Generally, that means he needs to find a police agency to qualify at.

It's not as hard as it sounds. The best part is he'll be able to carry in places, such as DC/NJ/CA, where carry permits/LTCFs aren't honored.
    What he said....
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    What he said....
    He what he said as well As a retired NYPD guy, he should know this.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcheinaman View Post
    I think you are referring to LEOSA. you can find out more at the link posted below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act
    Personally, I find the LEOSA offensive; both politically and morally.

I am not anti-cop (read through my post history), but I am against any laws that create separate "classes" of citizens. With regard to the lawful carriage (bearing) of arms, the LEOSA creates two classes of American citizens:

1.) Cops (and retired cops) and
    2.) Everyone the heck else.

Firstly, I do not subscribe to the idea that 'bearing arms' should ever be regarded as either a privilege or an entitlement. I believe that, as American citizens, we all have the Right to keep and bear arms.

I feel what the LEOSA does is further the idea that bearing arms (carrying firearms) is an entitlement reserved for one class of American citizen. This whole idea disgusts me.

Of course I feel that cops (and retired cops) should be able to carry firearms wherever they want legally. However, I also think that all law abiding citizens should have this Constitutionally protected Right respected throughout the country as well.

I am opposed to any statute or legislation that takes a Right, twists it into a privilege and an entitlement, then doles it back out to establish different classes of citizens. I find such things utterly appalling. I find such things patently un-American.
    Last edited by Bruce; August 3rd, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Wayne County)

Wink Re: Can retired NYPD cop get non-res LTCF

Ranger
    I just had a talk this morning with a fellow shooter and friend who is retired NYPD. He just applied for his federal carry license being a retired LEO. He can carry any where in the USA. If you need more details I`ll get it for you. Any retired LEO can get it.

Qtrborecrazy

(Allegheny County)

Default HR218 / LEOSA (general info / comments ... )

[QUOTE]I just had a talk this morning with a fellow shooter and friend who is retired NYPD. He just applied for his federal carry license being a retired LEO. He can carry any where in the USA. If you need more details I`ll get it for you. Any retired LEO can get it.[QUOTE]

Hello Qtrborecrazy

Generally, yes - but there are some requirements Sir, for example you must have had a certain amount of time in position and be eligible for certain retirement or disability benefits.
    (As a retiree this officer likely meets the first section; the latter section often rules out Reserve or Auxilliary officers).

Also, to qualify as a retiree your department must support an annual course of fire and provide you with a wallet card or similar documenting this. If your department does not do so, you cannot carry under HR218 / LEOSA. This is not as simple as it sounds: LEOSA has been in effect for several years, but the State of Florida only launched their support program in the last 6 months; effectively previously limiting LEOSA to active duty folks.

In the event that you retire far from your original department's location, say an NYPD retiree who moves to Arizona, your state of residency must support the training above AND permit outside attendees.

As a general comment, whether in your home state or out of state, you may have to absorb the costs of the annual training. For many, if a Non-Resident carry permit such as Utah's or Florida's offers coverage where the retiree lives and travels, it may be easier and substantially cheaper.

Carried in combination with ID for your former department, I suspect most LEO's would treat you with nearly the same level of courtesy as LEOSA. Only "loss" would be areas such as DC, but a substantial portion of DC is off limits anyway (federal property and the like) for some folks this may be no real "loss" at all. "Unfortunately", since this retiree resides in NJ, it seems LEOSA may be the only reasonable way to obtain "home state" coverage.

In light of their proximity to Ground Zero and the size of the department, it is likely that NYPD supports the necessary annual training. Luckily, as a NJ resident, travel to NY may not be a hardship.

Also, it appears that the NJ Atty Gen'l takes a dim view as to LEOSA generally, even encouraging NJ departments to encourage officers NOT to carry out of state ... http://www.njdcj.org/agguide/pdfs/hr-218.pdf

You also have to follow the guidelines for "common" citizens, so restrictions as to magazine capacity (15 max in NJ?) and type of ammunition (no HP's) apply.

NOTE: appended to the pdf file of the NJ AG's comments is a full copy of the LEOSA Act for your reference Sir.

... hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast