Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Questions asked to your references on LTCF app?

Hi all. First post here on PAFOA! The amount of knowledge here is second to none for PA.

I applied for my LTCF in Butler Co. yesterday. I have nothing of concern on my background at all. My question is - what exactly does the Sheriff's office ask your references when they call them?

Thanks for any info!

Default Re: Questions asked to your references on LTCF app?

Sorry I can't speak for Butler, but here in Berks they don't seem to ever call. None of my references have been bothered, and I've never been called either.

(Butler County)

Yea, that's what I've read most of the time on this forum. But the deputy said yesterday that Butler Co. definitely calls your references (or they can call in themselves).

My concern doesn't lie with character questions, but more along the lines of what I've read Philly asks: "would you grant him a permit to carry a concealed firearm". So it's more a question if the reference agrees in the right to carry at that point. My references are long time friends, but not ones that have a LTCF let alone shoot at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpeterson5 View Post

..."would you grant him a permit to carry a concealed firearm".
    That could be considered violating the law if they ask that.

(i) Confidentiality.-- All information provided by the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant, including, but not limited to, the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant's name or identity, furnished by a potential purchaser or transferee under this section or any applicant for a license to carry a firearm as provided by section 6109 shall be confidential and not subject to public disclosure.

In addition to any other sanction or penalty imposed by this chapter, any person, licensed dealer, State or local governmental agency or department that violates this subsection shall be liable in civil damages in the amount of $1,000 per occurrence or three times the actual damages incurred as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, as well as reasonable attorney fees.

(Butler County)

Thanks HiredGoon, that definitely puts my concerns at ease. I read that info on this post:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ml#post1381909

That must just be a Philly thing. Thanks again!

I'm in Fayette County, and I know they never called my references, but...

A friend of mine in Greene County applied for his LTCF, and after the 60 days or however long it is that they have to approve or deny, had passed he still hadn't heard anything. He called the sheriff, and the sheriff's response was "We have been waiting for your references to call us". My friend asked if there was a problem reaching his references, and the sheriff said no, that it is SOP for the references to call the sheriff after the application has been made. Interesting take on things.

(Montgomery County)

sounds very fishy since it's his responsibility to conduct the investigation, you should see how up in arms people in montgomery county get because we have to get a local pd check for the same reason, does it even tell you on their procedures page site whatever they use that it's your responsibility? sounds amazingly like laziness to me.

Well I know they called one of my references the first time
    but I never asked him about what they said.

Obviously you should fill out all forms correctly and follow
    all instructions.

However the Law only says they have to investigate and either issue or deny within 45 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wash View Post
    A friend of mine in Greene County applied for his LTCF, and after the 60 days or however long it is that they have to approve or deny, had passed he still hadn't heard anything. He called the sheriff, and the sheriff's response was "We have been waiting for your references to call us". My friend asked if there was a problem reaching his references, and the sheriff said no, that it is SOP for the references to call the sheriff after the application has been made. Interesting take on things.
    From the Greene Co. sheriff's site

Sheriff's office to change firearm permit process

WAYNESBURG - The Greene County sheriff's office will be implementing a new process to issue and renew permits to carry firearms.

By law, the sheriff has the right to take as long as 45 days to issue a license to carry a concealed weapon. Usually, the process has taken only about 20 minutes.

To ensure the safety of all Greene County residents, however, the process will be changed beginning June 1. The new process will take about two to three weeks once the applicant submits an application package.

"This is being done in order to conduct the various background investigations needed to ensure the individual can legally carry a firearm," said Robin Ketchem, sheriff's office captain.
    "We're trying to make the process as simple as possible, but also allow ourselves time to be thorough in our investigations," she said.

The office also will now require that a 2-by-2 inch passport-size photograph of the applicant be attached to the application and that two reference questionnaires be completed by references the applicant lists on the application.

New regulations require the photograph. In regard to the questionnaire, the office in the past has contacted the references or has required references to contact the office before a permit was issued.

The office will accept application packages from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Fees remain unchanged. With the application, the applicant must pay a $5 processing fee; the remainder of the permit fee, $20 will be required at the time of issuance.

Fees must be paid in cash.
    For information, call the sheriff's office at 724-852-5218.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    The instance I am referring to occured probably 6 or 7 years ago. My friend was just taken aback that once he applied they expected his references to call them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast