Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Looking for a new toy for the safe.

I've been contemplating getting a derringer half for the cuteness factor, and half for a real light weight pocket gun that can put down a rabid animal that wanders into the camp. One day when my kids and I were shooting, both my daughters told me I should get one because they think they'd like to shoot it. My first thought was "oh no you wouldn't", but I wasn't about to say that if I can get away with buying a new gun and make them think I'm doing it for them.

So here's the process my ADHD brain goes through when looking for a derringer.

First, I'm not convinced anyone has ever bought a big bore derringer that they shot more than once before selling it. I've read countless reviews where people said their hand will never be the same.

Others have said the .38 isn't that bad, but I already have a .38 snubby that I put a couple shot rounds in when I'm in snake country, so I don't want to buy a mini version of a small gun I already have.

One of my choices is the .45 colt/.410 gauge combo, so I can use it as a light weight varmint gun that will pack a punch for when I'm sitting at the campsite, or a snake gun to keep in my pocket when I need to take a walk into the trees to be one with nature. One hesitation I have is that I currently don't own any guns that take .45 colt ammo, and I don't want to add a new round to the long list of calibers I already need to stock. It's also got a reputation for being brutal on the hands.

Another strong choice is a 9mm and probably would be my first choice if I could find out for sure if they shoot 9mm luger (9x19). Half the stuff I read says they do, but other sources say they're made for 9mm federal. and 9mm lugers won't eject properly. And again, I already have 9mm luger ammo for other guns, and I don't want to have to buy a different ammo just for a gun that will get minimal use.

Another dopey, yet important thing to me is I don't want a trigger guard. Bond Arms has a couple models that many swear are the best on the market, but to me it just isn't a derringer with a trigger guard. I don't know, just personal taste.

The final piece of the puzzle is Bond Arms, or American Derringer. It's definitely narrowed down to one of those two. Reports on Bond Arms Derringers are always thumbs up (even though some are in a cast). They're built to take the punishment of heavy rounds in a tiny frame. I haven't seen any bad reviews for American Derringer, but they're just not as emphatic as those for Bond Arms.

If it were a gun for me to keep, I'd most likely go with Bond, but I plan to give it to my oldest daughter within the next couple years if she likes it, and American Derringer has that whole "gun company owned by a woman" thing going for it. She's heavily into the school groups for future business woman, leadership training and other such stuff in prep for going to college next year for business management. I think having a gun from a company that was turned around by a woman CEO would have a small, but significant impact on her motivation as both a shooter, and a student.

So what say ye, did I lose everyone just at the word Derringer, or are there still some people reading that have experience with them and want to help me spend some money.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Looking for a new toy for the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I've been contemplating getting a derringer half for the cuteness factor, and half for a real light weight pocket gun that can put down a rabid animal that wanders into the camp...

Another dopey, yet important thing to me is I don't want a trigger guard. Bond Arms has a couple models that many swear are the best on the market, but to me it just isn't a derringer with a trigger guard. I don't know, just personal taste...
    str8shooter ~ The Bond Arms derringer is really not a light weight gun. According to their specs my Snake Slayer weighs 22 ounces empty. That makes it heavier than a small Glock (26, 27, etc.).

The lightweight .357 S&W revolvers only weigh 12 ounces. I imagine they would be much more punishing to shoot.

Not sure about all Bond Arms derringers, but I can take the trigger guard off my Snake Slayer.

I suggest you go look at one if you have not looked at them before. They really are beautiful.

One side bonus... If your daughter carries it in her purse she'll never have to use it. She can just hit an assailant over the head with her purse!

Afterthought: Thought I should add I really enjoy my Snake Slayer and have nothing but praise for the factory.
    Last edited by Jailkeeper; October 27th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Luzerne County)

I have a cop .357 mag derringer. I have shot it a few times. Your right it sits in the safe.

I bought it because it is an oddball and i thought it was neat.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I've shot the .45/.410 combo and did not think it was that bad. The blast is gone before the recoil has time to build up. Would I want one, no. I want more that two shots. That's why I have a .380 for small carry.

(Allegheny County)

I owed both a .38 and a .22 Derringer. They both sucked for aiming, and hitting anything accurately past just a few yards. I wouldn't trust the shot load out of either for effective critter control. I never owned one or tested a 410 Derringer, but if you must go with one, I'd look at those. At least you can get buckshot loads for 410. Anyways who cares how much it hurts, no one plans on shooting them much anyways. Don't spend to much cash on one either, you'll probably end up selling to some other "I got to own an Derringer" person.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

I have a stainless American Derringer Corp model in .357 mag. I bought it LNIB a few years ago for $200.00. I carry the pistol in a holster in my front pocket in the summer. Ultra concealable, quality made little gun, though I can't hit anything past 10 yards with it. The pistol has a cross-bolt safety that locks the hammer. Tanner's Sports Center in Jamison has an American Derringer in .38 special for $200.00 used. Go with the quality brands like American or Bond.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.