Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default .357 sig or .40 s&w

i was looking to purchase a new gun and i was looking for some input from the crowd i have a taurus .38 special, and a CZ75 compact, and i was looking for something a little more kick butt i've had .45's but i'm not too much of a fan, penetration is a little weak on them, would you suggest a .40 s&w or a .357 sig. some personal reviews of each cartridge are welcome

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .357 sig or .40 s&w

Quote Originally Posted by huffy85trooper View Post
    i was looking to purchase a new gun and i was looking for some input from the crowd i have a taurus .38 special, and a CZ75 compact, and i was looking for something a little more kick butt i've had .45's but i'm not too much of a fan, penetration is a little weak on them, would you suggest a .40 s&w or a .357 sig. some personal reviews of each cartridge are welcome
    Huffy, I have pistols in 9, .40, .357sig ,and .45.

I have always been taught to use the largest pistol caliber you can comfortably shoot well.

Somewhere on the net, 2 guys were chewing the fat on the .45. The younger guy was talking hollow points, lighter, faster .45 bullets for expansion etc, etc, etc.

The older of the two that had some combat time in a war long ago asked the younger guy. Son, have you ever seen a man get hit with .45 ball ammo?

point is, All pistol calibers are puny. Shot placement is key along with training to accomplish that aspect of shooting.

I personally carry a 9mm for ease of concealment. It was and is my BUG when I can comfortably conceal my Glock 23 .40

Anyone of them is OK. .357 sig and .45 just cost more to practice with.

my couple cents.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

Anyone of them is OK. .357 sig and .45 just cost more to practice with.

27hand
    unless you get the 22LR conversion then you can plink all day
    long for pennies ....

(Armstrong County)

Hi my take on this is the bigger the caliber the better for stopping power but really there is no such thing. Shot placement is the most important thing over every other consideration. The 45 acp has plenty of penitration and it is without a doubt going to put a hurt on someone. Only problem is they are hard to conceal in summer months, the 40 s&w is on hell of a round also hits very hard with lots of speed. Now here is where alot of people disagree with me, 9mm with self defense ammo is also a very good choice, especially with follow up shots being easier. This is the thing that makes me laugh, alot of people say the 9mm is wimpy, well it is not a 40 or 45 but, it is not wimpy, it is the big brother of the 38 special. If you only had on shell in your gun to fire I would want it to be a 45 but being we all carry more than that, a 9mm with sd ammo will do the job just fine, especially when probably you will be hitting the target with more than one shot, and no one will take sever shots with a 9mm and still keep coming if he does keep shooting he will fall. One thing about 9mm is it is much more easy on the pocket than 40 or 45 to practice with. And let me recommend the springfield xd models in 9 mm or 40 s&w in sub compact models one thing about the 40 u can get a after market barrel in 9mm for practice and still have the 40 for ccw. anyway just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by brent_bowser; April 2nd, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rtmpgh View Post
    unless you get the 22LR conversion then you can plink all day
    long for pennies ....

I have one. An Advantage Arms for my G23 and or G32 although you should use better quality .22 LR ammo for it to function correctly.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.