Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default why you must aggresivly drill responsibility into kids' heads

Title says it all, and this story back up why.

If you own guns, and have kids, they should not be curious about guns. In most instances curiosity and guns lead to death, luckily it seems this one did not. The kid(s) should feel safe, comfortable, confident, and most important not complacent when around guns. Drill safety and responsibility in their heads.

A Montgomery County teen has been rushed to the hospital after being shot in the head inside his home.

The shooting took place along the 2300 block of Mulberry Lane in Lafayette Hill, Pa. around 3:30 p.m. on Friday, according to police.

The 15-year-old had taken out guns that were stored inside the house, into the kitchen to show them to a friend, according to Whitemarsh Township Police.

While the teens were handling the loaded weapons, one fired, grazing the teen in the head.

The teen was rushed to Temple University Hospital. His condition is unknown.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the shooting.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...228385701.html

To anyone that might say a safe might help, it would not. If this dad is just gonna "hide" the guns then he would probably "hide" the key. He already would have a safe if that would not be the case.
    Last edited by coppery; October 18th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: why you must aggresivly drill responsibility into kids' heads

I agree. My kids are 15 and 17 now, but I have always taken them to the range with me. They are not curious about my guns because I allow them to safely shoot any one of them that they feel comfortable handling.

Additionally, I have multiple gun safes in my house. All of them are combination locks. My kids do not know the combinations. They all have key overrides. However, all the safe keys are in one of the safes...except he key to override the combination to the safe with the keys in it...that one is on my key ring.

I am not so worried about my kids getting my guns when I am not home. They have safely handled my firearms, and I am sure they would in my absence.

If there were ever a threat while I was not at home, they know all they have to do is call my cell for the combination. I'm guessing they'd call me first, and then call 911.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Title says it all, and this story back up why.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...228385701.html

The link is just 'Breaking News' and no information, other than a teenager being shot in the head.

Are you making your assumption from only this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

As much a symptom of a transitioning (or already transitioned) society. When I was a kid, I would have never had to take my dad's guns out to show my friends. They had already seen them, had seen their own parents' guns, and had their own, as did I. We all knew the guns weren't play toys, and that the pistols were more than likely loaded at all times.

In a culture where guns are things only people in movies have, a simple boast about finding your dad's gun turns into someone being shot. Quickly. My niece and nephew are absolutely immune to firearms. They know their parts inside and out, they know and understand that these things end lives, and they know that they are not toys. On the other side, they know that any time they want to take them out to the range, we'll be doing that. They are 9 and 6, respectively. They also know that never, under any circumstances, are they to discuss my firearms with their friends. No need for the school to send the school swat team over for some *child endangerment* BS.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    The link is just 'Breaking News' and no information, other than a teenager being shot in the head.

Not sure what your point is. Link to story , to me is VERY clear. A 15 yr old boy took out loaded guns to show friends and due to lack of proper training about gun safety someone ended up shot. Perfect story to show children about how not following the golden rules of gun safety can in an instant leave someone dead or seriously injured.

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

The article says this.
    The 15-year-old had taken out guns that were stored inside the house, into the kitchen to show them to a friend, according to Whitemarsh Township Police.

(Montgomery County)

kept workiing for me, ill edit the OP with quote.

(Erie County)

I checked the link again. There was no way to scroll down the page, but I clicked the comments which took me below the the video to the article.

Sorry for my confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

It seems that to most, guns have some sort of exciting mystique because they're really cool in movies and yet most people have never handled, let alone used, one. Not everyone appreciates that guns are tools, not toys, and like any tool must be used properly and with due caution.

I expect this kind of problem to remain significant so long as gun ownership rates remain high while there are also high numbers of non-gun people out there. Not to mention, you can bet that every single instance of the slightest injury from negligent handling of guns will be plastered all over the front page of every newspaper until flintlocks are banned.

I can see some kid cutting his finger on a front sight or something and it getting reported as "Child injured by gun accident".
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Tioga County)

I taught my son how to safely handle guns when he was small and how to shoot when he was 5. I never had/have to worry about him touching them. He's now 19.
    MikeP