Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Question Handgun nightsights

I'm trying to find one manufacturer of night sights that I can use on, at the very least, the vast majority of my handguns. So far I've found that XS, Trijicon and Meprolight are the only manufacturers that seem to make sights for the majority of my handguns. I know that we have proponents of all three manufacturers here so I just want to get everyone's two cents on this. Remember the idea is for me to be able to have the same basic sight picture from one hand gun to the next so go for it guys. So, which manufacturer of those three and why?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Handgun nightsights

Bill,

I had Heinie Straight Eight Slant Pros on both my Glock pistols and when I bought a Kahr, I got it with factory Trijicon 3 dot sights.

One thing I did to the second set of Heinies was to have the rear sight widened to twice the width of the front blade in hopes that I would be able to acquire the front sight more readily. As it turns out, this was a poor decision as I never was able to shoot well with this rear sight.

I was gifted a XS big dot and tried to marry it to the wider Heinie rear and this also didn't pan out.

Since then, I have gotten a rear XS to match the front big dot so now to recap, I have a set of Heinies which I have made shots onto an IDPA target at 100 yds (so far still my favorite as I like the 2 dot system), I have a set of XS and have not really worked with them much as far as presentations to multiple shots so this is still up in the air (it is also a 2 dot system though).

The Kahr Trijicon 3 dot system. I can shoot this gun pretty accurately but I like the 2 dot systems over the 3 dot.

I have not owned or used Meprolight but have read some good reviews and I think they cost less than the other 2 i listed.

later,

27hand

Edit I understand wanting to have the same sight picture but don't think it's all that important. Front sight,press works on all 3 of my systems.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Default Re: Handgun nightsights

Of those listed, the XS sights. With the others all your getting is your standard 3 dot sight. Not a big issue if your getting the front and rear in different colors, but I have a problem in near total darkness telling the front dot from the rear dots, a little muzzle manipulation will tell you which is which, but if shooting in the dark (that's the purpose for night sights, right?) I feel that the XS is the winner over traditional 3 dot night sights, there's no guess work, just a big fat tritium vial immediately on your target.

XS Big Dot 24/7 Front sight:

Traditional style dotted front sight:

That sight is a Heinie, using the "Straight Eight" style tritium dots, so I don't have the minor confusion, but it illustrates the difference nicely.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; April 24th, 2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added pics.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."