Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Star Modelo Super with frozen firing pin.

have a Star Modelo Super chambered in 9mm Largo 9x23. I just fell in love with this pistol to the point that I shoot it more than any other except my Kimber 1911. It's a tremendous sidearm: All steel, accurate, balanced and more powerful than a 9x19 in a thin package. Just like a 1911 only thinner and lighter. It's also cheaper than cheap to shoot. at $32 per 250 rounds of corrosive Spanish 9mm Bergman.
    I must have a thing for thin automatics because I love my Polish TT33 almost as much.
    I paid $139 for the Star from Sarco. Stripped off the finishand completely disassembled it. Refinished it with DuraCoat (Sig Blue/Gray. replaced the recoil spring and barrel then added a new set of Ironwood grips. It came out looking brand new and shooting like it too,
    Last week it started failing to fire about every third round. I thought it was the ammo. Then it stopped altogether. I unloaded and took a look inside the slide. The firing pin was stuck fast inside the slide. I took a punch and tried to move the pin. It would only move with a lot of effort. The spring wasn't working at all. It would also move back when pushed with the punce from inside the slide but only when it was pushed hard. I have to guess that the spring broke inside the slide and is impeding the firing pin.
    I bought a new pin and spring but I'm unsure as to how to go about removing the old parts. It's hard to tell even with a detailed schematic. One drawing shows the firing pin retaining pin as the one under the rear sight, another shows it as the pin that protrudes above the top of the slide. Removing the sights to accesss the pin is also confusing. It shows the rear sight being removed by tapping it out from right to left. My pistol has what looks like a tint hex screw that hollds the rear sight down.
    Anyone out there in Spanish Pistolland up on replacing a firing pin in a Star Super A? I don't want to try the guess method on a 65 year old gun, especially one that I like as much as this one.

Default Re: Star Modelo Super with frozen firing pin.

The firing pin retainer is under the rear sight. One problem with those guns is the loaded chamber indicater, the little pin that is on the top of the slide. I have a little experience with those models, I nickel plated 10 for a customer. If you take it apart be careful of the detent spring on the thumb safety, they have a tendency to fly off and never be seen again. Since they are pretty old and probably never cared for the things like the firing pin hole and extractor hole get gummed up and need cleaned out with something like a needle file, then oiled lightly and you should be good to go. I have some diagrams on them if you need it. thnx.

(Lancaster County)

Those springs are technically called "Jesus Springs" because once they let go and fly across your face into the next room, you say "Jesus, where did that go?"
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

franknphilly--I share your affection for the Star Super, as well as the Polish Tok. I have had the same problems with my Supers, and the problem is the Spanish surplus ammo--. I noted that the primers were pierced with the surp ammo, and, after taking the firing pin out, little "doughnuts" of metal from the primers came out! Never had this problem with Blazer Largo or 38ACP/Super.

I have thought about trying a Wolff firing pin spring (if they make them) to see if it would solve the problem, but as I have no more surp Largo ammo never bothered--

PS--I was cruising the web when I found this forum. Mother was born in Shennadoah(sp?) and recently lost my favorite uncle (WWII vet, SW Pacific) and cousin (Allentown). I am a true son of Dixie (Tennessee) now living in AZ who always thought PA was full of damnyankees until I visited about 10 years ago. Met a LOT of neat folks, who like guns and hunting. Also, I think the Shennadoah area is really beautiful, esp in the fall. Good luck with your Super!

I do not want to give advise on making changes to firearms but on the supers I have owned I always used 38 super in them, after touching the extractor with a stone or dremel and they worked fine, some guns that are worn will do this anyway. The pressures and ballistics are very close and 38 super is easy to find. Just compare the two rounds and use your imagination. Please do not take this as advise or instructions on doing a modification, only food 4 thought. thnx

Smile Re: Star Modelo Super with frozen firing pin.

Was interested in where you were able to get new barrel. I have a Super Modelo In 9 Largo . Somewhat pitted. Would also be interested in having additional barrel in 9 Luger. Thougt it would be neat to have both options

I happen to own a Star Super also, originally in 9mm Largo.
    Like CROB241 I also took a "tic" from the top of the barrel to allow the 38 Super semi-rim to clear. I also pulled my extractor and stoned a tad from it, as it scored my brass too much for my liking.
    I can still shoot 9mm Largo through it, as it wasn't enough to lose that ability.
    In my opinion (for what that's worth) it's probably the best concealed carry weapon I own. It's thin, more powerful than the 9mm, and is well balanced, and very accurate.
    I heard that the 9x23 brass will also work in place of the 9mm largo, although I have yet to try any, and, according to Cartridges of the World data, can be loaded at least as hot as the 38 Super.
    I too would like to know where you found replacement barrels.
    I recently purchased a Star 9mm BM model, and have begun carrying that at times also, as it balances even better than my Super Modelo, and has a 4inch barrel. Both pistols are excellent shooters.
    The single stack magazine keeps the pistol thin for easy concealment, but the fact of only having 9 rounds (1 and 8) at your disposal is the only drawback. But, if I can't at least scare someone away with 9 shots, I may as well just leave the thing at home.

(Allegheny County)

Sarco did have them.Not sure what their status is with ATF now. They'd probably sell a whole slide assembly pretty cheap. Let me look around to see if I have one lying around,

(Allegheny County)

Out of all the pistols I own, I have to admit-the Star Modelo Super fits my hand the best. Plus, the tang protects my hand far better than any 1911 or Hi Power. I also have a model BM, which has become my favorite carry piece. The Super is my "nightstand" pistol. I too would like to find another barrel for my Modelo Super. If they are still available anywhere, please enlighten me.