Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default I want a .380, help.

Well I am torn between a few models of .380's and I cant decide which one I want. First off let me say this. I started off wanting a Walther ppk/s, and still do, however I have been reading many articles online and it seems to be nothing but a trash fest on the S&W made ppk? Is there truth behind this or are there just haters with nothing else to do with their time. Any gun can/will have issues.

Secondly, this past Friday night I decided I was going to go to Cabela's and buy the Bersa Thunder 380 that they had on sale because I had a few gift cards I needed to spend. I wound up getting the pistol for next to nothing when it was all said and done.

I should have known better. I have read some really great things about the Bersa Thunder 380 and that was the reason for me making the purchase. Well Saturday morning I decided I was going to field strip the pistol. Took it out of the box and started wiping the cosmo off. Well, it wasnt only the cosmo that was coming off. The bluing was just wiping off. So much so that the slide was down to bare metal and my hands were stained black. I was pretty pissed off to say the least.

Got on the horn with Cabela's and the Manager said to bring it up and he'll take a look. No problem, I packed it back up and brought the towels along with to show them. I got to the counter and the gentleman cleared the pistol. I then told him to look at his hands. He looked and said out loud, What the F***. I replied, that's why I'm here.

Long story short, Cabela's made it right and took the pistol back and awarded me store credit because they didn't have another Bersa, fine.

Which brings me to now. I once again dont have a .380.

I have done some research and looked at the Walther, Beretta, and Sig. The Sig and Beretta are roughly 200 more and are a bit larger than the Walther. The Walther is roughly 500 and its competition is closer to 700. Can someone help me decide? Like I said, I still really like the finish, size and overall look of the PPK, but how problematic are they? Is S&W good with customer service?

Help me choose!

Thanks guys!

Default Re: I want a .380, help.

S&W is reputed to have outstanding customer service, though I've never used it.

What were you using to clean the cosmoline off?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lehigh County)

I was using regular old paper towels and break free CLP.

(Northumberland County)

if you're gonna pay close to $700 why not get a subcompact 9?

I had a bersa 380 and never had a problem... I didn't like the recoil (straight blowback=Sharp recoil) I replaced it with a SW 642 jframe

There are lots of options for subcompact 9's that are less than $700

(Bucks County)

I would consider that a sign from the Gods not to get a .380 . But seriously, the choices for a carry gun in 9mm make alot more sense then a .380 . Ammo cost is considerably more in .380, which is less effective than 9mm, ballistically speaking. Ammo variety is also less than those for 9mm Luger. Variety of manufacturers also is a consideration. Generally, you can go out and buy yourself a Bersa for under $300, but for around the same price you can get an upgrade to a Taurus 9mm.
    If you're dead-set on .380 , take a look at Kel-tec 3AT.

(Jefferson County)

S&W imports the PPK's, then dont make them - Walther makes them.

They are fine guns with a design that is over 70 years old, which in the last 70 some odd years if there was a true problem with it - it'd have a lore about it as bad as the gas tanks of a Ford Pinto. ....which it doesn't have. They are good guns, however people only selectively hear and remember the worst things. Sure, a few might have hammerbite problems in fat hands, or frame wear, or FTF/FTE issues - and people only remember those few numbers that do. But they never give mind to the countless thousands times more that were made that had NO problems. All makes and models of guns have their lemons, some a little more than others - but with just about every make/model the lemons are usually far outweighed by the pristine. You can usually spot the asshats and amateurs by the type of wording in report or the mirror gripes about a product. Its same type of people that say all HiPoints and "Ring-of-Fire" guns are junk from a single event, while countless others shoot their cat turd/pee covered guns in confidence.

Bersa Thunder 380's are damn good guns too. The design goes back a long ways as well. They originally are a knock-off of the PPK, but have some revisions. The current production model is hyped across the internet and from real life users.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I'm not referring to anyone in this or any recent thread at this site when I mentioned asshats and amateurs. Its about gun-snobs and arm/computer-chair gun fans.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 12th, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarifying things
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    I would consider that a sign from the Gods not to get a .380 . But seriously, the choices for a carry gun in 9mm make alot more sense then a .380 . Ammo cost is considerably more in .380, which is less effective than 9mm, ballistically speaking. Ammo variety is also less than those for 9mm Luger. Variety of manufacturers also is a consideration. Generally, you can go out and buy yourself a Bersa for under $300, but for around the same price you can get an upgrade to a Taurus 9mm.
    If you're dead-set on .380 , take a look at Kel-tec 3AT.
    I concur. If you want a .380 the only reason is for size and conceal ability. An LCP or P3-AT, in my opinion, would be the only logical choices. A KT P-11 is no bigger than the Bersa (maybe smaller) and packs 13 rounds of the 9mm of your choice. Or a KT PF-9, another small light 9mm. JMHO

(Delaware County)

If you're not wedded to a DA .380 wait and look at the future Sig P238. It looks iike a remake of the Colt Mustang .380. These were always personal favorites but command high prices used and are SA. I realize Colt also made the DA Pony but the Sig is SA I believe.
    Tim

look for a Beretta CHeetah or similar OR ar Besra 380 thunder. i had the Bersa and the only reason i sold it is because it wasnt being used. i loved it, but my beretta saw more CC.

the smith/walthers are nto to my liking. they cost too much i think ad are sharp edged...
    This Space For Rent

(Cumberland County)

I picked up a FEG SMC-380 many years ago dirt cheap. It's a Hungarian made Walther PPKs knock-off although parts are not interchangeable I'm told. It isn't a target gun but it does go bang every time I want it to. Not sure if they are still available or not though.
    Yippie-Ky-Ay

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast