Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Anyone familiar with Dropcam?

Dropcam is a low budget security camera that records footage and stores it over wifi to the cloud. I was thinking of purchasing one and mouting it on the adjacent wall from my safe pointing at it. What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.dropcam.com

(Bucks County)

Have two, both versions and like them. Set up is super easy. I did not sign up for their cloud service because I also have a pro system with dvr. These I just use for real time views and a pup cam.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Dropcam?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Have two, both versions and like them. Set up is super easy. I did not sign up for their cloud service because I also have a pro system with dvr. These I just use for real time views and a pup cam.
    Seems like a decent alternative to an expensive and complex cctv system. I'll probably pick up the more expensive version.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    Seems like a decent alternative to an expensive and complex cctv system. I'll probably pick up the more expensive version.
    Maybe. The cameras are good and as said super easy to set up which is the main reason I got them. There may be better options out there for this type of thing but I did not look that deep. On the face of it I thought the Cloud service expensive but again, did not compare as I'm not using it.

Some others I saw on Amazon have SD cards which depending on how you use them may be of benefit. And remember, these are for inside use only.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Maybe. The cameras are good and as said super easy to set up which is the main reason I got them. There may be better options out there for this type of thing but I did not look that deep. On the face of it I thought the Cloud service expensive but again, did not compare as I'm not using it.

Some others I saw on Amazon have SD cards which depending on how you use them may be of benefit. And remember, these are for inside use only.
    The cloud service is expensive, but this makes the most sense for me. I want access to the footage when Im out of town.

(Butler County)

I use 2 of them with the cloud service as my homegrown security system and amon my second year of cloud subscription.

The upstairs camera watches the front, side and sliding glass doors and the basement watches a basement door and section of the basement where the valuables are kept.

The factors for me that lead to their selection were cost and the cloud service. They will record and send the audio/video to the cloud based DVR until they are unplugged or if they are smart enough my internet connection is cut. Even if they steal the camera, I'll have the video of them walking up to it and pulling the power on it. And even if they were smart enough to steal a DVR, they are not going to steal it from the cloud.

Myself being cloud proponent in my professional life as well, like the fact that there isn't another piece of hardware that requires care and feeding or will break.

They each sit on a small UPS along with the rest of my internet gear to keep the running if the power is out for quite a few hours, but mostly to run uninterrupted until the generator fires up.

(Bucks County)

Having both I would recommend the Pro version. The night vision is much better and has more of a viewing angle.