Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Deleted Thunderbird Email profile?

I know this is probably a pointless question (as the profile is long gone), but here goes.

Is there any way to retrieve mail and settings from a deleted Thunderbird profile? Or restore the profile?

I tried several file undelete programs, and one especially for T'bird mail recovery, but they do not seem to find the deleted profile or the settings.

I'm thinking it still may be on the HD somewhere.

The profile was deleted using profile manager and is not in the profile folder now at all (of course).

As I understand it though, the profile is not deleted, it is more like it is un-installed, so probably no chance to recover it.

Any hints, tips, tricks to do this?

Thanx.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Deleted Thunderbird Email profile?

If you have a mac I think you can use time machine... You can pick a date and look at content for that day... Not sure how deletes effect it. If you back up to an outside source you might be able to achieve the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If you have a mac I think you can use time machine... You can pick a date and look at content for that day... Not sure how deletes effect it. If you back up to an outside source you might be able to achieve the same thing...
    Nope, Windows XP home.

Oh, and for some reason when I tried to go to an earlier system restore point, I couldn't do anything but the current day. And yes, the restore point option is enabled

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Nope, Windows XP home.

Oh, and for some reason when I tried to go to an earlier system restore point, I couldn't do anything but the current day. And yes, the restore point option is enabled
    Hmm, doesn't it allow you to enter a date to reset to? Does is allow you to choose a specific time frame like.. day, week and year? Make sure to back up your current stuff externally before you do a reset... With time machine it allows you to go back and view without having to reset....

(Allegheny County)

Use a undelete program. The files are most likely still intact on your HD. However, the more you use your PC the more likley they will get overwritten.

Check out this free one I've used before:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny1969 View Post
    Use a undelete program. The files are most likely still intact on your HD. However, the more you use your PC the more likley they will get overwritten.

Check out this free one I've used before:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/
    tried a bunch of the feebies and none of them really measures up so I finally bought this one:

http://www.active-undelete.com/

you would be AMAZED at the crap this thing can find!

And yes, try not to use the machine too much before you do a recovery, if so much as a few bytes of the folder you are looking for is overwritten by other data you probably won't be able to recover it

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I know this is probably a pointless question (as the profile is long gone), but here goes.

Is there any way to retrieve mail and settings from a deleted Thunderbird profile? Or restore the profile?

I tried several file undelete programs, and one especially for T'bird mail recovery, but they do not seem to find the deleted profile or the settings.

I'm thinking it still may be on the HD somewhere.

The profile was deleted using profile manager and is not in the profile folder now at all (of course).

As I understand it though, the profile is not deleted, it is more like it is un-installed, so probably no chance to recover it.

Any hints, tips, tricks to do this?

Thanx.
    Thunderbird emails on mine (XP 64) are stored in C:\documents and settings\administrator (or whatever your admin folder is)\applications data (hidden, my need to un-hide it)\thunderbird\profiles\(random text here with a '.default' at the end)\mail\local folders\

To un-hide folders in "my computer," go to tools > folder options > view tab > hidden files and folders > show > OK/Apply.

Even though you deleted the profile from Thunderbird, the data may still be sitting there. I have 3 other profiles in there that I never used and deleted which are still in the \mail folder.

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    Thunderbird emails on mine (XP 64) are stored in C:\documents and settings\administrator (or whatever your admin folder is)\applications data (hidden, my need to un-hide it)\thunderbird\profiles\(random text here with a '.default' at the end)\mail\local folders\

To un-hide folders in "my computer," go to tools > folder options > view tab > hidden files and folders > show > OK/Apply.

Even though you deleted the profile from Thunderbird, the data may still be sitting there. I have 3 other profiles in there that I never used and deleted which are still in the \mail folder.
    Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned, the missing profile is not in that folder anymore.
    The "new" profile I created is there and that is the only one.

I did have an older backup profile and that is the one that I made current...but I still lost some things between that old backup and what was current as of the other day.

BTW, I also tried windows XP system restore, but for some reason I do not have a restore point before the day the profile was deleted...and yes the restore option is enabled, so i don't know what that problem is either

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    tried a bunch of the feebies and none of them really measures up so I finally bought this one:

http://www.active-undelete.com/

you would be AMAZED at the crap this thing can find!

And yes, try not to use the machine too much before you do a recovery, if so much as a few bytes of the folder you are looking for is overwritten by other data you probably won't be able to recover it
    Well I tried this and it found tons of deleted stuff, but not what I needed Thanks anyway.