Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Taurus 1911 45 ACP

Hi guys,

Just got my first 1911 - every thing else I've owned has been cheaper Semi's.

# 1: The gun right out of the bag was very sticky due to the way that Taurus (I assume) packages them. Whats the best way to clean it - just some Rem Gun Oil on a rag?

# 2: Does anyone have any suggestions on ammo?

# 3: I plan to carry this in the winter/fall and give my Kel Tech .380 a break. Anybody have any suggestions on OWB carry? I saw a few other posts but some links to the actual product would help a lot.

You guys got a great site here, thanks in advance!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Taurus 1911 45 ACP

Welcome to the PAFOA! Glad to have you aboard!

You can clean your new PT1911 with any commercial gun solvent to remove the extra grease and oil the packed it with. Then give it a good wipe down with your favorite lube or CLP. It's usually a good idea to do this before your first range trip.

My Pt1911 eats any ammo I feed it...

I don't have any good suggestions for holsters, but I'm sure someone here will!

Oh and pics of your new gun are a MUST!! LOL

(Tioga County)

I carry Speer Gold Dot Hollow points in my XD and 1991A1. These are both .45ACP

Holsters are really an individual fit thing. For an OWB holster I use a SERPA. Some don't like them I do. Yes mostly I OC but winter is here in the far north so I dug out the heavy winter coat so now it technically CC.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Hi guys,

# 1: The gun right out of the bag was very sticky due to the way that Taurus (I assume) packages them. Whats the best way to clean it - just some Rem Gun Oil on a rag?

# 2: Does anyone have any suggestions on ammo?

# 3: I plan to carry this in the winter/fall and give my Kel Tech .380 a break. Anybody have any suggestions on OWB carry? I saw a few other posts but some links to the actual product would help a lot.

(Berks County)

Like RF said, any gun solvent will do the trick. Its not just Taurus that packs guns with grease before shipping, they all do. Some use more than others, and some shops give them a cleaning to one degree or another (or not at all), so you never know if your new gun will be spotless or caked with packing grease. My Taurus PT140 was damn near spotless (shop cleaned it up) but my Beretta Neos was just a hair short of dripping with grease (shop had to order it and i picked it up less than 2 hours after it came in so they didn't have a chance to clean it).

If you're a forum whore (like some of us here) head over to taurusarmed.net for pretty much everything you could ever want to know about any Taurus firearm.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Monroe County)

Keystoneman,

I have a Serpa by Blackhawk for my Taurus 1911. It's a great gun and has a sweet trigger. I've yet to have any feed problems with it, from Wolf to Winchester, Remington to reloads. I heard that a few have had some ambi-safetys breaking , so I replaced mine before I had a problem. Mine is very accurate and consistantly outshoots my Para 14.45. Good luck.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    Keystoneman,

I have a Serpa by Blackhawk for my Taurus 1911. It's a great gun and has a sweet trigger. I've yet to have any feed problems with it, from Wolf to Winchester, Remington to reloads. I heard that a few have had some ambi-safetys breaking , so I replaced mine before I had a problem. Mine is very accurate and consistantly outshoots my Para 14.45. Good luck.
    I read a few complaints about that as well. Everyone that had the issue was just calling Taurus and being sent a new ambi safety to replace the bad one. Most of them that I read about were cases of people putting new grips on their gun and not knowing theres a diff between grips made for the ambi safety and grips not made for it, so they were trying to force a grip on the gun that wouldn't fit. Personally, when i get one i'll probably be replacing the ambi safety since I'm right handed anyway.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

I recently bought the same thing... because I too was less then excited about my keltec 380.

for holsters:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...overnment.html

(Berks County)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post some photos once I get the holster and get it to the range.

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    I recently bought the same thing... because I too was less then excited about my keltec 380.

for holsters:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...overnment.html
    I like my Kel Tec .380 for summer time especially when you just got a pair of shorts on, you can still conceal it. I did feel the need for something bigger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Hi guys,

#1 is from the last guy who handled your gun...

#3 I order an OWB from Dillon. It is Mitch Rosen who supplies them. It was 75.00. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast