Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Which 1873 .45LC SAA Revolver?

I shot a friend's .45LC revolver, and I liked that caliber very much. I prefer to have a revolver that is a replica of the Colt SAA and is case-hardened. Which make/model do you recommend?

I have looked online at Beretta, Pietta, Ruger, and Uberti Web sites.

Thanks for your help!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Which 1873 .45LC SAA Revolver?

I have an Uberti Cattleman, case hardened. Really nice shooter.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(York County)

I have an Uberti Cattleman and Ruger Vaquero SAA. Not that there’s anything wrong with Uberti, I have several of their firearms, I’d pick the Ruger…mainly because I have five to six thousand rounds through it and not one problem – ever. I use it hard – put 25-50 rounds through it once a week at the range, it is my side arm for hunting, and it made the trip with me to Alaska and shot great up there despite the freezing cold temperatures and rain.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Montgomery County)

Ubertis and Cimarrons are very nice, but if you want a top of the line sixgun, check out US Firearms. They're made in the old Colt manufacturing plant, but using better methods. I've read some professional reviews that say the quality of USFA's are better even than Colt's. The only thing is, they aren't cheap. It's something like $500-$600 for their baseline Rodeo and Rodeo II, all the way up to several thousand for some of their high end custom guns. I have a 3.5" barreled 45 colt from them, and the quality, fit and finish couldn't be much better.

No matter what way you go though, research, purchase, then shoot it and enjoy! Oh...and save up for ammo. 45 colt isn't cheap!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PirateSteve View Post
    Ubertis and Cimarrons are very nice, but if you want a top of the line sixgun, check out US Firearms. They're made in the old Colt manufacturing plant, but using better methods. I've read some professional reviews that say the quality of USFA's are better even than Colt's. The only thing is, they aren't cheap. It's something like $500-$600 for their baseline Rodeo and Rodeo II, all the way up to several thousand for some of their high end custom guns. I have a 3.5" barreled 45 colt from them, and the quality, fit and finish couldn't be much better.

No matter what way you go though, research, purchase, then shoot it and enjoy! Oh...and save up for ammo. 45 colt isn't cheap!

Bold mine. Yes, I have heard that from my friend. He tried to dissuade me from shooting that caliber unless I reload or want the caliber for historical purposes. Since I do not reload, I like the caliber for the latter.

Thanks for info on US Firearms!!!!

(Allegheny County)

I just recently got a Uberti 1873 NRA Edition and I love it. Very well built and very accurate.

(York County)

If you plan on shooting a lot of .45 LCs it will pay you to start reloading. I can load a box of 50 for about $6...compare that to the $50 per box price and it'll be worth your time.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Susquehanna County)

If you want a reason to drool over some beatiful stuff go here http://www.usfirearms.com/
    Higher priced I know, but the Rodeo is a good value.

As for the others, I think I'd go with the Vaquero although I might let Mr. Linebaugh perform some magic on it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Jefferson County)

Rugers aren't case hardened, but rather they are case colored. Ruger has since stopped using that finish because they were rusting up real quick like. All new production Rugers are either blued or stainless.

Be sure with the other makes that its case hardened if that is what you want, not just case colored.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    snip...want the caliber for historical purposes. Since I do not reload, I like the caliber for the latter.
    I believe to .44-40 (also called .44 WCF) is the original "cowboy" cartridge for the Colt SAA, which should be available in all of the revolvers mentioned in this thread.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast