Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia Fox 29

So earlier today Fox 29 ran a story about the going ons in the gun world, talking about the NRA meeting with Joe Biden, advertising gun buy backs in New Jersey and explaining the Assault Weapons Ban and the ever popular "Gun show loophole". Well I don't know what got in me, but I wrote an e-mail to them voicing my displeasure.

I am dismayed to see such biased reporting against firearms, firearms ownership and firearms owners. I am apalled that an agency that should be taking an unbiased stance at any and all stories is promoting against firearms owners and firearms ownership. In a story that you aired tonight you said that VP Joe Biden's team was working hard to eliminate high capacity clips and close the gun show loophole. There is no loophole, when I bought a gun at the last two gun shows I went to I had to have a background check run by the licensed seller before he would sell me the gun, while state law clearly states that a long arm such as a rifle or shotgun can be sold from one private citizen to another with no check. Handguns however still need to be transferred through a licensed dealer. It seems however that you decided to leave out that important piece of information in order to make all firearms owners look like criminals. You also mentioned that the White House also wants to outlaw certain calibers, and the dreaded "assault weapon". Let us remember that the term "assault weapon" has no actual meaning and it is a simply a vague statement invented for the 1994 Assault Weapons' Ban, a statement that has it's definition change with the ebb and flow of time. Many of the "scary features" on that are said to make up an assault weapon make no difference on the lethality of the weapon. A Ruger Mini-14 which appears as a traditional, wood stocked hunting rifle, has the same hitting power as an M-4 Carbine used by American Servicemen and Women all over the globe, since they both fire the .223 cal./5.56mm round. You also advertised two gun buybacks in New Jersey, and trumpeted the success of a gun buyback in Camden. Let us not forget that New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, yet cities such as Newark, Camden and Trenton have some of the highest crime rates in the nation. Gun buy backs do not work, they are a waste of public funds and encourage criminals to break into houses, steal guns and sell them off. After all, you did mention that there will be no questions asked, which criminals do love, especially if they're throwing away a murder weapon, or a gun they stole from a legal firearms owner.

Please remember, that the original Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, had no impact on crime whatsoever, and that you are more likely to be killed by a drunk driver in a car, a baseball bat, a hammer or medical malpractice. Recently there was a shooting in a mall in Clackamas, Oregon. The shooter stopped and killed himself when he saw a man with a concealed handgun draw his weapon and aim it at him. Instead of shooting back at the concealed handgun owner, the shooter took his own life like a coward. The concealed handgun owner didn't even fire a single shot. Do not forget that every last mass shooting in the USA has taken place in a gun free zone. The Sandy Hook shooting took place in a gun free zone where it took police 20 minutes to arrive on scene. What if one of the teachers or staff had been armed? How would the story have turned out? Remember that Adam Lanza took his own life like a coward instead of shooting at the police.

Many say that civilians are not responsible enough to own a firearm since they are not trained by the military or police. Many who teach firearms classes for the NRA are former military and police, many firearms owners are also former military and police. I myself spent 6 years in the Navy and spent many a night on security duty carrying a rifle or shotgun to defend an aircraft carrier while in port. Just because one has received police and military training does not make them an expert on firearms. On August 24th, 2012, a disgruntled ex-employee named Jeffrey Johnson shot his former co-worker in the head next to the Empire State Building. Two NYPD officers confronted Johnson, Johnson raised his weapon against the officers, who fired 16 rounds at Johnson. When all was said and done, Johnson was dead, but nine bystanders were wounded, three were directly shot by the two officers, while the others were wounded by ricochets and bullet fragments. This proves that not every police officer is a sharpshooter with his weapon, and that many officers simply shoot once a year for their qualification. A gun range owner also decided to see for himself how hard the LAPD shooting qualifications, and so as a round for a competitive shooting event, he instructed his competitors to undertake the qualification at his range. The owner had to make the qualification shots more harder than they normally would be in order to fit within the rules of the competition. In the end, all the shooters scored above 90 points out of a possible 100, while the owner shot a 97 point score. This, and many other incidents prove that it doesn't take specialized training in order to safely use a firearm.

It dismays me to see all these attacks against responsible firearms owners and their firearms. Attacks against what kind of firearms they can own, how large of a magazine they can use, what kind of parts they can put on them. It dismays me even more when a news agency that should be unbiased take a stance against these firearms owners. As a firearms owner, I can safely say that I can no longer trust anything that you say.

v/r

Francis K. Borek

For some reason I don't think I'm going to get anything except a generic response.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Fox 29

You won't even get that...

(Lehigh County)

Can I call you psycho

Rick
    Last edited by spaideas; January 10th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    Can I call you psycho

Rick
    Hahah, go ahead dude.

(Lehigh County)

I hope you caught the Stripes reference. Very good letter by the way. It never hurts to let them know how the viewers feel about their efforts.

(Delaware County)

Don't forget, this is the same outfit that brought John Bolaris back to Philadelphia!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    I hope you caught the Stripes reference. Very good letter by the way. It never hurts to let them know how the viewers feel about their efforts.
    Son of a gun, I just got that! I should've known since one guy back in Basic Training called me that because of the movie!

(Venango County)

Makes me wonder...

If the strict firearms and ammunition laws work so well in New Jersey, how is it the gun buy back program is so...'sucessful'?

Clearly smoke is being blown up someone's buttocks.

ETA= Forgot to mention that is a nice letter.
    Last edited by TaePo; January 11th, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Tioga County)

I am composing an email to Steve Keely at Fox 29 right now over this BS "news" story:

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/205...ing-in-bedroom
    MikeP

(Tioga County)

My letter to Steve Keely @ Fox 29:

Steve,

My wife and I enjoy watching Fox 29 but reporting such as this make me turn it off.

"Probably an AR-15" is speculation and anti-gun propoganda. Do you have pictures of the shell casings indicating the caliber of weapon used?

"Rapid fire" and "high powered" are two more myths about the AR-15. An AR-15 is semi-automatic which means one round is fired with each pull of the trigger. Some sort of super human with an advanced type of AR-15 must have been doing the shooting as it is impossible to fire 17 rounds in 3 seconds.

Did you know that the 55 grain .223 round most common for the AR-15 is not even considered powerful? Compare the ballistics of that round to several of the most popular rounds used to hunt deer in Pennsylvania.

The .223 and 7.62 x 39 are those "powerful assault weapon" rounds the anti-gunners and politicians like to crow about and flash on TV.

Select sampling of rounds and their muzzle velocity and energy:

223 Remington - 3240 fps, 1282 ft lb
    270 Winchester - 2850 fps, 2705 ft lb
    30-30 Winchester - 2390 fps, 1902 ft lb
    300 Savage - 2630 fps, 2303 ft lb
    308 Winchester - 2820 fps, 2648 ft lb
    30-06 Springfiled - 2910 fps, 2820 ft lb
    7.62 x 39 - 2365 fps, 1552 ft lb

As you can see, those powerful guns are not so powerful after all.

I have been shooting since I was 5 years old and am now approaching 52. So for 47 years I've been practicing safe and lawful gun use and ownership. I used to hunt frequently. My guns, in any form, have never assaulted anyone.

Myself and thousands of other law abiding gun owners across Pennsylvania are tired of being demonized due to the actions of a minute fraction of our society. Murder is already against the law. That hardly mattered to Timothy McVeigh who killed 168 people including 19 children without ever pulling a trigger. Those intent on doing evil will always find a means.

Please report factual news. If you would like to join me for an afternoon at the range, let me know.
    Last edited by priell3; January 11th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    MikeP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast